RV Make
Thor
RV Model
Aria 4000
RV Length
40' 11"
Fulltimer
No
Have towed with most of these items and it is a good, problem free setup.

I do not think you need the coiled safety cables. With the Roadmaster Nighthawk Towbar, the safety cables are actually routed through enclosed channels in the tower, rendering the benefits of a coiled cable practically pointless. To be clear, you do need safety cables, I'm just saying coiled cables might not be any better than non coiled and it might save a few dollars to get regular non-coiled cables.
nh-white-new.png

Also, those pins are a major pain in the butt. Get these instead. The larger handles makes it very easy to pull them out when you are parked at an angle or uneven surface. You can still get em out but its a bit of a bear unless you have pins like these that give you a good handle to grab them with.
910049.png

I can't speak to whether or not you need a charge line for your vehicle. I suspect not but your owners manual is the gospel. It certainly can't hurt.
You can skip the dual hitch extender if you want to just put the bikes on the back of your jeep.
I can't recommend the Demco AFO and Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar highly enough. Roadmaster and Demco both make excellent products. I think you'll be very happy with them.

If you go with the AirForce One system, make sure you get an extra air hose because if you're not careful, the connection can pop loose and your air hose gets dragged, at which point the whole setup is useless because you can't reconnect the damaged air hose coupling and get air into your towed vehicle's AFO system. Replacement male and female quick connect couplings can't hurt either, just as a backup in case you drag your primary and secondary air hose. At least then, you can make a field repair and get on your way. Always give that air hose a couple of firm tugs once you connect, on both ends to make sure the connection is good. I yank on both ends at hookup and check em again at every fuel stop.

Last edited:
This is a great reply thank you. So first thing...
Are you saying get rid of these https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Roadmaster-Accessories-and-Parts-RM-910029.aspx and replace them with https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-910049.html just want to make sure its the right thing I'm swapping?

Looking at the Saftey Cables It seems like the non-coiled are about the same cost give or take. Seems coiled might help make up some slack if there is any? How do you know how long you need them to be, I see them anywhere from 55" to 80" https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Safety_Cables.aspx

Thanks!

Are you saying get rid of these https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Roadmaster-Accessories-and-Parts-RM-910029.aspx and replace them with https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-910049.html just want to make sure its the right thing I'm swapping?
Yes. Trust me, you will thank yourself the first time you need to unhook at an angle or when the tow vehicle isn’t level with the RV. Having those handles is a game changer and it happens more often than you’d think. Also, give em a squirt of Wd-40 or silicone spray prior to hookup. Makes unhooking way easier, but a bit dirtier.

Looking at the Saftey Cables It seems like the non-coiled are about the same cost give or take. Seems coiled might help make up some slack if there is any? How do you know how long you need them to be, I see them anywhere from 55" to 80" https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Safety_Cables.aspx
That’s probably true. I did not look to see if there was a price difference. If it’s negligible than I would also go with coiled. It won’t hurt anything. If you can wait til morning i’ll measure mine and let you know how long they are.

Yes. Trust me, you will thank yourself the first time you need to unhook at an angle or when the tow vehicle isn’t level with the RV. Having those handles is a game changer and it happens more often than you’d think. Also, give em a squirt of Wd-40 or silicone spray prior to hookup. Makes unhooking way easier, but a bit dirtier.

That’s probably true. I did not look to see if there was a price difference. If it’s negligible than I would also go with coiled. It won’t hurt anything. If you can wait til morning i’ll measure mine and let you know how long they are.
Thanks so much! Yes, when you get a chance place let me know. Just wondering how one goes about how to figure out the proper length you would want... Thanks MapNerd

Just wondering how one goes about how to figure out the proper length you would want...
Honestly, you hope they never get used. Their only purpose is to keep your tow vehicle loosely tracking your RV in the event of a towbar failure or accident while your Demco AFO applies the brakes. The cables don’t meet to be much longer than the distance from your RV’s hitch receiver to your tow vehicles front bumper.

I’ll certainly let you know in the morning. I am curious myself.

This is an excellent setup! And, I like the oversized grip handle pins. Don’t have them yet, but they are on my “buy list.”

We’ve used Roadmaster and Demco (AF-1) towing products for several years and have had great luck with them. We’re in the midst of setting up a new toad right now and our parts list is almost identical to yours, @Cardiff RV, except the base plate which is for a 2020 Lincoln Nautilus instead of a 2021 Jeep Wrangler.

One additional item we have used (and will continue to use) is the Roadmaster Tow Defender rock screen. In six years of towing the 2014 Honda CR-V, we have not picked up a single rock mark. The only negative for the Tow Defender is that it gets pretty dirty with road grime. I wear a pair of gloves when handling the mesh for hooking up/unhooking it and that solves the problem.

TJ

For a Jeep do you think I need the battery charger. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-156-25.html Can't hurt, right?

I was also told that safety cables that come with the Nighthawk, have not confirmed but the RV Parts manager said they are included with the tow bar.
Yes, the Nighthawk “Includes safety cables and power cord” per the Roadmaster web site.

As for wiring a charging line from the coach to the toad, I always recommend doing that; whether you need it or not right now. If you should change toads, the next one may need it even if the current one doesn’t.

TJ

Latest resources

Back