Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Pappyd

RVF Regular
Hi any and all. New to the RV world in so much as recently. We’re visualizing our retirement plans. Here in the travel trailer world is hopefully a probability. I am looking for personal experiences, good and bad, at this initial juncture with regard to units. I’m considering 28-32 foot, either tow behind or 5th wheel, travel trailer. I’ve only visited 3 places so far and gleaned (or more appropriately wrenched) as much educational info I thought to get answers to so far. I’d like to hear what manufacturer unit you may have experiences with pros and cons of them. Ask any questions to help us narrow down relevance. Thanks in advance. David and Patsy.

What are you planning to tow it with?

What do you have?
I have a 2020 Tundra.

With a halfton, I'd recommend staying in the ~24 foot box (27 foot total) range. You have plenty of towing capacity for a longer trailer but you run out of payload with a halfton.

Take a look at the payload sticker in the driver's door of your truck and remember that has to include you and any additional passengers, all the gear in the cab of the truck, all the gear in the bed of the truck, any mods you've added to your truck and the tongue weight of the trailer.

Take a look at the trailer tongue weight specified for the trailer(s) you're interested in then remembere that those numbers don't include propane, battery, weight distributing hitch, spare tire if it's on the hitch or all the gear you're going to put in the trailer.

I have a 25' trailer (28' total) and, without weighing anything, I'm guessing that I'm probably at least 200 lbs over the payload capacity of my truck. If it's just the two of you, you should be able to make it work but you're going to be close with a Tundra.

Some will say I'm excessively conservative but I would not go over 27' box with any halfton on the market.

I have a 2020 Tundra.

With a halfton, I'd recommend staying in the ~24 foot box (27 foot total) range. You have plenty of towing capacity for a longer trailer but you run out of payload with a halfton.

Take a look at the payload sticker in the driver's door of your truck and remember that has to include you and any additional passengers, all the gear in the cab of the truck, all the gear in the bed of the truck, any mods you've added to your truck and the tongue weight of the trailer.

Take a look at the trailer tongue weight specified for the trailer(s) you're interested in then remembere that those numbers don't include propane, battery, weight distributing hitch, spare tire if it's on the hitch or all the gear you're going to put in the trailer.

I have a 25' trailer (28' total) and, without weighing anything, I'm guessing that I'm probably at least 200 lbs over the payload capacity of my truck. If it's just the two of you, you should be able to make it work but you're going to be close with a Tundra.

Some will say I'm excessively conservative but I would not go over 27' box with any halfton on the market.
Also forgot to mention: fifth wheel is a no go with a halfton. If you're set on one, get yourself a 3500.

Hmmmmm, better to hear it here……you will not be towing a fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton regardless of what a dealer or otherwise tells you. Well, not safely for long. I would stick to a sub 7000 lb TT. Look to your payload and hitch rating. These are crucial where people go wrong and only look at towing capacity.

We started out with a TT (Grey Wolf 26DBH). 6300 lbs dry rating and less than maybe 650 lb. Tongue weight. Not a issue what so ever with our truck. Just starting out in the RV world. Loved this little TT. Not many issues believe it or not. Now we have a Grand Design fiver that we love as much.

Whatever you get, pair it with an appropriate WDH that is setup correctly to your truck.

BTW…..Welcome aboard!

Also forgot to mention: fifth wheel is a no go with a halfton. If you're set on one, get yourself a 3500.
Thanks for all that Rosy. I was reading where about 1500 extra pounds should automatically be figured in to the unladen weigh. I would probably increase that to at least 2000lbs myself at a minimum just for safety's sake and piece of mind. I wasn't thinking that my half-ton shouldn't be used for a 5th wheel configuration and none of the dealers I spoke with hesitated when I asked about it. We are talking about the 5.7L 8cyl engine now right? The vehicle is rated for 9700 TWR.

Hmmmmm, better to hear it here……you will not be towing a fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton regardless of what a dealer or otherwise tells you. Well, not safely for long. I would stick to a sub 7000 lb TT. Look to your payload and hitch rating. These are crucial where people go wrong and only look at towing capacity.

We started out with a TT (Grey Wolf 26DBH). 6300 lbs dry rating and less than maybe 650 lb. Tongue weight. Not a issue what so ever with our truck. Just starting out in the RV world. Loved this little TT. Not many issues believe it or not. Now we have a Grand Design fiver that we love as much.

Whatever you get, pair it with an appropriate WDH that is setup correctly to your truck.

BTW…..Welcome aboard!
Thanks Germanrazor. I really appreciate any responses I can get on this and more. What do you haul it with? My Tundra is rated for 9700 TWR. What's WDH please? So, how do you get an RVF supporter title?
Oh. Weight Distribution Hitch. DOH!

Latest resources

Back