BillD

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Carriage
RV Model
Compass 30RLS
Hello Fellow RV'rs and Lovers of the Great Outdoors,

My wife and I are in the process of retiring. Starting in Spring 2021, for the next 3-4 years we plan to Camp Host in paid positions until our social security kicks in... then we will start taking volunteer positions with public agencies (State Parks, Forest Service, ACOE, etc), ultimate plan is to find an interesting home as Docents and "settle in".

We'd love a shout out from anyone with experience as Camp Hosts... we will reach out to establish contact... maybe you can help guide us thru some of our questions.

Saludos,
Bill & Laurie O'Doyle

Welcome to RVForums @BillD. Please share your experiences and lessons learned in our work camping forum and help build the knowledgebase and invite others to contribute there as well. Welcome aboard and hope your experiences are good. It seems like a lot of opportunity out there for camp hosts.

Thanks Neal, I'll definitely keep everyone updated... I'd like to remember the process of starting as a Camp Host, and about each Host position we take... lots of info on the internet, we hope to add to it in a meaningful way.

Welcome to RVF, @BillD; glad to have you here. Please do keep us informed about your camp hosting. We have never done it, but we have certainly appreciated the camp hosts we have met.

TJ

Welcome. It takes a special kind of person to host, I am not one of those people. I was a assistant manager for a season in a members only park in Washington. I hosted in the forest for two seasons. I would have a backup plan. I would never consider such a life again. Like I said I am not one of those special kinds of people.

Kevin: This is good input... we know there will be negatives, but we hope to mitigate with careful selection of management company we work for, and park setup. What did you dislike about being a Host? If there are a lot of things, what were the 3 main things you disliked? If you HAD to do it again, what sort of things would you look for?

OK @BillD I had no real problems at the private park. I can relate to telling someone with a rig that has out classed our power grid, that the problem is probably their coach.

I hosted two of the years one at a group camp site in AZ. No host they are not open, but even with no paid position the people that used it felt we were their clean up crew. Cleaning up bathroom that were trashed, not just used. cleaning up TP behind trees and other nice tidbits. In the north part of the country I here it is not like that but in the southwest it is.

The second job was much the same as the first position. The worst offenders were the Maricopa county sheriffs department outing."Who Ya gona call". No pay don't host!!! The Job is the same but patrons have something to loose if they don't follow the rules.

Kevin: Joe Arpaio and his team of mis-fits... go figure. From what I'm reading it seems like the "trashed bathrooms" are the biggest negative to the work... sounds nasty, but I'll find a quick and efficient way to do the task (portable pressure washer, anyone?). Is this an accurate assessment?

It seems like the other biggie is conflict resolution with Rule Breakers of all stripes... which will be a much bigger issue in some places than in others. Do you have any suggestion on what to look for in a park-situation where people are more likely to be respectful? (how about ACOE campgrounds? seems like they would be pretty well trained campers)

Latest resources

Back