Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mike Azalea

RVF Newbee
Flojet 03526144 came new in our 2020 Keystone Passport. Last fall on our last trip of the year, the fresh water pump wasn't pumping water to our faucets. Plenty of fresh water in the fresh water tank. We'd hit the switch, and no dice, it would have kept running until it drained the battery. I thought there were two possible causes. Maybe the impeller in the pump failed, or maybe it was because I TOTALLY emptied the water system the week before we left, and the pump doesn't have enough power to suck from the fresh water tank when the system is dry. I ordered up two quad connects and some tubing to test the pump outside the camper. When I manually primed the suck side, it ran just fine. When the in and out hoses were dry, the pump did not have enough suck to bring water from a 5 gallon bucket on the inlet side. So I demonstrated to myself that when I prime it, it works fine, but if the system is dry it won't prime itself. Now. Has the pump failed, or did I screw myself when I totally drained the system dry? (image of pump attached)

Attachments

• waterpump.JPG
    waterpump.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 19
Id say the pump is bad. Positive displacement pumps found in RVs don't need a prime - they are self priming and will pump air. So if you have to prime yours to get it to pump, its bad. Positive displacement pumps are used to prime centrifugal pumps.

From Flojet 03526144A Triplex 2.9 GPM RV Water Pump :

The Flojet Triplex 2.9 GPM RV Water Pump is a must when using water from your holding tank. The unit itself is a low maintenance unit that is self-priming and dry running. This unit also features quiet and smooth operation with soft noise absorbing mounts and the built-in bypass removes pulsation.
  • Pumps Water From The Holding Tank.
  • Quiet and Smooth Operation.
  • Sound Absorbing Mounting.
  • Resistance Free Bypass.
  • Corrosion Resistant.
  • Three chamber diaphragm design.
  • Able to run dry without damage
  • Self-priming up to 9 ft suction lift.
  • Gallons Per Minute (GPM): 2.9.
  • 50 PSI Max With Automatic Shut Off.
  • Power Rating: 12 VDC / 4.4A @ 10 PSI.
  • Dimensions: 4.75" H x 9.00" L x 6.00" W
  • Weight: 4 lbs.
  • Limited 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty.

Id say the pump is bad. Positive displacement pumps found in RVs don't need a prime - they are self priming and will pump air. So if you have to prime yours to get it to pump, its bad. Positive displacement pumps are used to prime centrifugal pumps.

X2
Do an internet search & get another pump. I like this one:

Lots of choices out there at all $ amounts.

Did you check the piping on the suction side? Any air getting into the suction side would probably not allow the pump to prime.

Makes sense. Always nice when something is repairable in this throwaway society. And you learned something that might come in handy when youre on the road.

From Flojet 03526144A Triplex 2.9 GPM RV Water Pump :

The Flojet Triplex 2.9 GPM RV Water Pump is a must when using water from your holding tank. The unit itself is a low maintenance unit that is self-priming and dry running. This unit also features quiet and smooth operation with soft noise absorbing mounts and the built-in bypass removes pulsation.
  • Pumps Water From The Holding Tank.
  • Quiet and Smooth Operation.
  • Sound Absorbing Mounting.
  • Resistance Free Bypass.
  • Corrosion Resistant.
  • Three chamber diaphragm design.
  • Able to run dry without damage
  • Self-priming up to 9 ft suction lift.
  • Gallons Per Minute (GPM): 2.9.
  • 50 PSI Max With Automatic Shut Off.
  • Power Rating: 12 VDC / 4.4A @ 10 PSI.
  • Dimensions: 4.75" H x 9.00" L x 6.00" W
  • Weight: 4 lbs.
  • Limited 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty.
Hi Rich,
I've got a Coachman 2016 25SE and have an apparent water pump problem. When hooked to city water I have no problem w water pressure but when tapping off the tank, I only get air bubbles and little water squirts. Bad pump impeller? Thanks in advance!! aloha...doug

Thank you everyone. I contacted Flojet support, and I was given instructions to partially disassemble the pump, and clear the blockage. Happy to report that it's working fine once again.
I had the same experience. After disassembly, washing and reassembling, all works fine.

Latest resources

Back