Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
EMPTY IT! To make your heavy water filled water softener tank easier to manage such as stowing or removing from the coach, unscrew the top where you put the salt in for regens and tip the tank over and the water will come out. Be careful not to empty too much or tip too far (close to 90 degrees) as the resin (brown) will come out.

For anyone going to areas with hard water I highly recommend the On The Go OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT Portable Compact Double Standard 16,000 Grain Water Softener

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Q2LBJV/?tag=rvf01-20

You would be surprised of places that have hard water. Even on the east coast I was caught off guard on a beach location that had hard water. What I do out west is prior to hooking up the water I sample the water into a cup and test it with a test strip and that tells me whether or not I need to use the water softener.

otg.png

Neal, I simply leave the cap on and turn it upside down to quickly drain the water without risk of losing any resin.

Thanks, haven't tried that as I was in fear of the resin issue. Seemed like the water would come out best through the top cap. I'll try that next time. Gracias.

How many days of use, on average, do you get from the unit. I know there are many variables but on average before recharging.

How many days of use, on average, do you get from the unit. I know there are many variables but on average before recharging.
In casa grande one week at best (one person use). I can't see anyone getting the smaller size unit. I bought salt from Amazon, it takes 2 per regen, so I bought 2 x number of weeks I was there and then needed it at other stops north as well. I did not test the water here in UT, I decided after leaving Bryce Canyon (which needed it) I was done using it. The shower doesn't show signs here of issues so I'm lucky.

The instruction manual from the manufacturer has been added to the resources forum.

Inverting is the proper method for draining. The water will drain from the inlet. There is a screen that prevents the resin from escaping. The screen is that slotted, conical shaped plastic piece where the salt is poured in.

The Company indicates that turning the unit upside down with the cap on is the proper way to drain the unit.

To regenerate here is their instructions

Special Regeneration Process: Standard Softener​

Step 1: Turn off the water supply.

Step 2: Disconnect outlet hose from the outlet side of the softener.

Step 3: You can drain water by tilting unit over or turning it upside down with the head/cap ON. Once draining has been completed, flip the unit back upright and tap the black base against the ground a few times to get the resin to fall back down into the bottom of the tank.

Step 4: Remove top cap.

Step 5: Add 2 26oz boxes of table salt (mix salt with warm water and pour the solution into the softener if the water has been drained out)

Step 6: Put the top cap back on and slow rinse the unit for 25-30 minutes

Step 7: Fast rinse for 5 minutes

Step 8: Check the hardness at the output of the softener

Step 9: The test strips should read around 0-3 GPG, and your unit is ready for use!

Thank you @RandyB for keeping me straight :)

Latest resources

Back