Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Problem with Brake controller or Trailer brake drum ?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

k2hunja

RVF Newbee
Hi,
I bought lance travel trailer 24ft recently. But I have problem with Tekonsha p3 brake controller setting.
I have tried to set up power as manual said. I set the power at 7.0 initially and drove 25mph and fully applied manual knob. The trailer brakes did not lock up.
I increased power 8, 9,10, 11, 12, 13, even 14(max power) and did all processes again and again. But trailer brake did not lock up.
I felt trailer brake was working but not sufficient.
Can you tell me what the problem is ? Am I doing something wrong ?
I need your help ? please. My tow vehicle is 2020 Nissan Armada.
Thank you.

Is this a new trailer? If not, how old is it?

Most trailer brakes are operated by an electro-magnet attached to a pivot arm. When power is applied to the electro-magnet, it drags on the flat surface of the brake drum, moving the pivot arm and applying the brakes.

If this is not a new trailer, the brake shoes may have worn and be in need of adjustment or replacement. And, if one or both of the magnets is/are not functioning correctly, you will not have sufficient braking power. Similarly, if the flat drum surface or the magnet surface is rough, there will be insufficient braking.

Sounds to me like some brake work may be needed.

TJ

Yes, even if new they may need to be adjusted. There are no self adjusting mechanisms for trailer brakes “drum type” and need to be checked now and then. Another problem could be if you have the grease fitting to grease your wheel bearings, many people over grease and the grease will get on the brake pads.

Another problem may be an electrical one. Check all connectors for corrosion.

Is this a new trailer? If not, how old is it?

Most trailer brakes are operated by an electro-magnet attached to a pivot arm. When power is applied to the electro-magnet, it drags on the flat surface of the brake drum, moving the pivot arm and applying the brakes.

If this is not a new trailer, the brake shoes may have worn and be in need of adjustment or replacement. And, if one or both of the magnets is/are not functioning correctly, you will not have sufficient braking power. Similarly, if the flat drum surface or the magnet surface is rough, there will be insufficient braking.

Sounds to me like some brake work may be needed.

TJ
Hi,
Thank you for your answer.
My trailer is a brand new. 2021 lance 1995. 2 axles.

Hi,
Thank you for your answer.
My trailer is a brand new. 2021 lance 1995. 2 axles.
In that case, I would go back to the dealer where you purchased it and have the trailer brakes checked and adjusted. You could also do this yourself, if you feel capable, but since you should be under warranty, I’d have the dealer’s technicians do it.

TJ

Latest resources

Back