RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
2022 FR Wildcat 5th wheel.

Only camping used in the past with multiple propane tanks was in pop up. I used one tank until it stopped then closed valve and opened valve on other can. Then filled empty tank within next couple of days.

New trailer has two tanks. On one tank there is a gauge showing red and green. Plus a lever on top. From what I understood, I am supposed to open both tanks. Then I check the gauge each day or so. When needed the tanks will automatically switch and the gauge will turn red. Then I rotate the lever and refil the previously used tank.

Have I got this right or all confused?

Sounds right.

If you ever get trapped in a cold climate for 2 winters on a job like I did once I'd suggest buying extension hoses and sitting those propane puppies on the ground. I had 4-30 pounds and 2-20 pounders in front of my fifth wheel locked together with a cable.
Lifting that tank out, going and getting propane, and putting it back in isn't something you want to do every other day when it's 5 degrees outside.

Although we have two 40lb tanks and the automatic change over, I learned my lesson. I woke up cold one morning only to discover both tanks were empty. Since then I only turn on 1 tank at a time. When it is empty, I remove it and turn on the other tank. Never again without propane. The wife will never let me hear the end of it.

Although we have two 40lb tanks and the automatic change over, I learned my lesson. I woke up cold one morning only to discover both tanks were empty. Since then I only turn on 1 tank at a time. When it is empty, I remove it and turn on the other tank. Never again without propane. The wife will never let me hear the end of it.

Same here. It might be inconvenient to wake up one morning at 2 AM to switch over to the full tank, but it's a lot better than not having any propane at all at 2 AM.

Same here. It might be inconvenient to wake up one morning at 2 AM to switch over to the full tank, but it's a lot better than not having any propane at all at 2 AM.
Maybe my valve was different than what you have but it told me when one was empty.
It would switch over automatically and show red so I knew the other tank was empty, so I'd take the empty one out and fill it. Never have I ever ran out of propane in the middle of the night.

Maybe my valve was different than what you have but it told me when one was empty.
It would switch over automatically and show red so I knew the other tank was empty, so I'd take the empty one out and fill it. Never have I ever ran out of propane in the middle of the night.
Sometimes you get lazy about checking the switch, which is what happened to me. Propane always seems to run out between 1 AM and 3 AM. :giggle:

You said yours"told you" when one was empty. Mine is under the tank cover and is not readily available, nor visable. Also, mine doesn't talk or have an internal annunciator as yours apparently does.

You said yours"told you" when one was empty. Mine is under the tank cover and is not readily available, nor visable. Also, mine doesn't talk or have an internal annunciator as yours apparently does.
1652713126200.png

Red means bad, green means good...

Latest resources

Back