Tiffin
RV Model
32SA
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2007 Solara convertible
Fulltimer
No
Would like to know all additional expenses above the price of the RV. Highway use tax,property taxes, vehicle registration, title for rv, insurance costs, and inspection cost before purchase. Difference in cost between motorhome and travel trailers for all these expenses.

Vehicle property tax, second chart. Many states charge a yearly tax, based on the value of the vehicle. I was considering moving to NC, but even at 1.83% of all of the vehicles, plus the small county tax, makes it somewhat prohibitive.

I nixed a job move to Virginia from Florida after finding out what VA was going to do to me for just owning a motorhome! I took a small pay cut to stay in Florida and don't regret it1

Another reason I stick with Trailers, old at that. The price tag make a difference in all states that charge property tax on RVs. And My rig is amortized out on the tax dole in AZ.
heck the hazard fee charged in AZ on trailers is smaller than property tax.

Yes you have to be careful on Registration Fees. Nevada has a calculation sheet to figure out the excessive fees for heavy vehicles or expensive vehicles like motorhomes. BTW we live in Florida for many reasons that have nothing to do with the weather :)

Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees

PERSONAL PROPERTY TAXES are one of the main reasons I moved from Virginia to Florida. That, and no State Taxes! Just these two things will save us thousands of dollars annually!
Plus Virginia appears to be on the verge of becoming another New York or California with regard to the idiocy of "Governor Decrees"!
Folks, I lived in Virginia for 68 of my 74 years, & sadly, I don't care if I never return, other than to visit family! Sad, truly Sad!:cry::cry::mad:

PERSONAL PROPERTY TAXES are one of the main reasons I moved from Virginia to Florida. That, and no State Taxes! Just these two things will save us thousands of dollars annually!
Plus Virginia appears to be on the verge of becoming another New York or California with regard to the idiocy of "Governor Decrees"!
Folks, I lived in Virginia for 68 of my 74 years, & sadly, I don't care if I never return, other than to visit family! Sad, truly Sad!:cry::cry::mad:
I agree with you and I may relocate someday too BUTTTTT I love the four seasons, mountains west, beach east, skiing, no major weather issues (for the most part). I'd love to move to St Pete but the humidity may prove me wrong, but I love water, beaches, and healthy lifestyles but everytime I go to FL I say "yuck" it looks old and beaten down by the sun. Then I think of AZ and love it, but it's a desert. I may look north to ID, MT, CO so I need to use my rolling house on wheels to go check those areas out. I really don't know where I want to live when I grow up!!! Right now my 80yo mother is my reason for staying put.

Sometime in the next couple of years I’m going to drop VA like a bad habit.

BUTTTTT I love the four seasons
Don't you know people that spend a day or two in the season change and then return to summer in the winter? I know a lot of them

Neal,
I too, love the 4 seasons!
That's why my coach has "wheels"!
And that's one of the reasons I chose St.Augustine. It's far enough North that we get some colder weather, gonna be 31 tonight and 61-63 tomorrow. And bot nearly as hot in the summer. Per my sisters, one here, one in Lakeland, and niece in Tampa; it is normally 4-8 degrees cooler here. And fewer hurricane "hits" too.
With the RV Port home, downsizing (house & property); we pull out the coach, lock the door and "travel"! Freedom to go where it's cooler, colder, or warmer!
Only time will tell if this was the "right" move, but for now, and for numerous reasons, it's surely better than Virginia!
Good luck to you in whatever decision you make, and wherever you choose to relocate!
Hoping that 2021 will be a better year!
My opinion!

Latest resources

Back