Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Took the leap and purchased a capable flying camera aka Drone. This item is incredibly capable and can be adjusted to provide some very creative videos.

The very simple 5 step instructions see below are in my opinion very misleading,

however DJI does provide some good video instructions as part of the startup sequence. The decisions and learning have just begun and I have yet to spin a blade.

The questions;

While not necessary for this weight class, <249grams, do I register with FAA?

In my area there is a lot of restricted airspace so learning about B4UFLY and Kittyhawk software to apply for permission to limited use of restricted airspace.

How do I affix or tattoo the drone with the FAA Registration #?

Register with DJI? Need to do this for the Stupid Insurance I purchased.

more videos to watch to understand this Mini 2 and the camera settings. May need some ND filters...?

I purchased “mistake replacement “ ie Stupid Insurance, contract from DJI in case my $700 goes flying off somewhere unintended. Its a 20 page contract with lots of requirements, need to study that. but if you do something stupid, you are hopefully covered.

First flight yet to come.
then there is the orientation of the Mini 2 before first flight. Something I am told to do before any flight in a new area to let the Mini 2 understand it’s location and orientation. Not difficult just another step.

Hopefully all goes well....
FB43B2C1-3D29-4FF0-9613-3462E4AC35EF.jpeg
78BEB09E-72B8-4D00-9C1F-543E73D71F54.jpeg

I know the FAA is here to help us all in aviation ? don’t register unless required. What help can they provide, except tell you that you did something wrong.

Yes plenty of videos to help the learning curve but only flying and experimenting will get you comfortable, so start spinning those blades and enjoy.

x2 to what @NWIP said - the purpose of this drone created by DJI is to avoid having to register with the FAA. An interesting note to pilots that don't know but it appears drones are getting ADSB.

Flying is easy, just learn the drone from DJI's videos first. I always run the calibrate anytime I change locations over 30 miles or it's been over 30 days (there was one other reason to calibrate). I had a DJI Phantom 3 almost fly off when I was presenting it to a prospective buyer, never happened before. Thanks to my radio controlled airplane days I was able to manage the situation and get it back, calibrate it, fly it again and it sold to that buyer. Shyeeeuuh!

Looking forward to YOUR videos you upload to YouTube to show us your progress and great photography opportunities drones offer. I've got the photography bug right now so I'm enjoying using my drone again and also my Nikon D850 for some amazing pics.

Hmmm...is YouTube productions considered Work related use.....Part 107 license....

I know the FAA is here to help us all in aviation ? don’t register unless required. What help can they provide, except tell you that you did something wrong.

Yes plenty of videos to help the learning curve but only flying and experimenting will get you comfortable, so start spinning those blades and enjoy.
Hello,
Your about to have a lot of fun with this toy. I have two DJI aircraft. Phantom 4 Plus and Inspire 1. I have registered mine, just to stay on the safe side of everything. You simply register, minimal cost and your good. I put the number and my phone number on the unit with a piece of paper and clear tape over it. This way if it’s ever lost, I stand a great chance of getting it back. The no fly zones I obey. I’m in Palm Springs, far enough away from the airport to be good to fly. But across the highway are the wind generators. As I fly toward the area, it warns me of the no fly zone, so very handy tool to ensure you stay within regulation. With the unit you have, fits in the wife’s purse! Ya right! Lol, she’ll never go for it. But the world is your playground. Get that thing in flight. The insurance by DJI, well if you fly by the rules and use all the tools in navigation it comes with, you’ll never have a problem. So get out and enjoy. Wish we were close enough, I could teach you plenty to get you going and having fun!!
Happy piloting!!
Pat

Hmmm...is YouTube productions considered Work related use.....Part 107 license....

Only if monetization settings turned on. Meaning you can make an income with the video. Just to show your video on YouTube as a family video... No worries

Started my collection of accessories with some ND filters. Have had good luck with these in the past. Purchased directly from Freewell Gear.

1736151E-83A5-4B7C-A3A1-F3CC7B0BD0E9.png

A ND filter is very useful, especially in Florida with the bright sun and lots of highly reflective surfaces. Allows some flexibility with aperture settings to give smoother transitions in video.

As I try to approach and educate myself with regards to the Mini 2 flying, I came across some reasonable advice.
Managing the FAA rules, and potential FAA inquiry does require some pre Planning. As a former Private Pilot this comes naturally.
The YouTuber below indicates he has a pre printed information sheet that he hands to someone questioning his flying while the Drone is airborne should go a long way towards safety and educate the public regarding the rules. Also demonstrates a professional approach to this activity.
His advice regarding managing a personal FAA inquiry would go a long way to keeping the relationship with the Government a productive and pleasant exchange.
The advice regarding checklists, and records is also in my opinion very useful.

Latest resources

Back