Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kcstrom

RVF Newbee
I'm looking to purchase my first travel trailer. SO and I have narrowed down the choices to the Freedom Express 238BH.

This has all the main features we're looking for and I think should be towable by our truck okay. I'd like some sanity checking on this by others more knowledgeable and experienced in this area than myself.

Freedom Express 238BH:
UVW: 5314lb
Hitch weight: 694lb
Length: 25'9"

Truck:
2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.7L
Towing capacity: 6500lb
Payload: 1650lb
GAWR (rear): 3900
GAWR (front): 3900
Measured weight (rear): 2580lb
Measured weight (front): 3480lb

This was only with me in the truck and 3/4 tank of gas. SO and kids will add ~350lb total.

I am planning to get a 2 or 4 point weight distribution hitch. Unloaded TT is 81.75% of the max towing capacity.

The hitch weight was a bit concerning to me at first, but it seems like a properly adjust WD hitch should alleviate that by placing ~20% back onto front axles and ~20% onto trailer axles.

I would need to keep additional weight loaded onto trailer and truck bed to less than 1K lbs to stay under max towing capacity.

I live in a flat area, but am planning to drive to hilly areas (like SD and Wyoming/Yellowstone), so it'll see some decent grades.

This trailer is heavier than I originally set out to look at, but seems like we can keep within all the max weights with a bit of planning.

Am I making a stupid decision if I buy this and pull with my truck?

Thanks for the reply and thoughts. That's kind of what I thought as well. More concerned about not breaking things than needed to speed up more slowly than with no/light load.

That's correct; 3.21 axle and 6'4" bed. The lowest of the 2013 V8 combinations available. :mad:. Didn't realize that when I bought it 8 years ago. Does shift nice tho. Lol.

If you carry any stored water in the trailer, please consider that it is very heavy. This will affect acceleration but also stopping. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon so you can do the math for however much you might be carrying. It adds up quickly.

Rick

Well.........the GVWR spec of the trailer is 7600 lbs. The only time you'll pull the trailer empty is from the dealer to the house. Disregard the empty weight values.

You need a tow vehicle capable of towing 9500 lbs and the trailer max weight should be 80% of that or 7600 lbs max to safely tow and stop the rig.

The cargo capacity of 1650 less tongue weight of 694 leaves you with 956 lbs for passengers and "stuff" in the truck. You need to figure the weight of the WDH as truck cargo. The dang things are heavy. 100 lbs or so.

My thought.....you don't have enough truck for that trailer to safely tow it.

I've seen more than one slide through an intersection. As my British friend might say; "the lad likely needed laundry service for his trousers".

Thanks for the info. Since posting earlier, I've also realized I don't know how almost any 1/2 ton truck isn't exceeding its GVWR with almost any trailer.
I didn't include in OP, but the GVWR of my truck is 6800lbs. It's the same for all 2013 RAM 1500s. It weighed on the scale at 6080lbs this week. That leaves 720lbs of payload, not the 1390 on the spec sheet. That's 653lbs different than the base weight on the spec sheet. I did have 3/4 tank of gas (~45lbs), and myself (~200lbs) in it. I also have a few other things that added weight like a rubber bed mat, bed rails, swing case with a few things in it, log chain (this is the heaviest single item at ~20lbs), but nothing that adds up to the remaining 400lbs of difference from the spec sheet when added up. I'm really not sure where that weight is all coming from. I guess things like the additional amp for the speakers that was an option, heated seats, etc. that were options added to the base truck. But dang, that is a lot of extra weight I wasn't accounting for.
So the actual base weight of my truck, instead of stock base weight, with the rest of the family in it, and accounting for a tank of propane and battery on the trailer tongue only leaves ~250lbs of weight from a trailer added to it before it will exceed GVWR.
Some of the newer trucks that have a 200lb higher payload rating might fair better, but it seems odd to me that anyone can safely tow much of a travel trailer with a 1/2 ton truck and not exceed GVWR, even if they aren't exceeding the towing capacity.

Two things to consider:
(a) towing capacity - Use 80% of the towing capacity for the max trailer GVWR.
(b) cargo capacity - For cargo capacity, use the tongue weigh plus passengers, plus "stuff" that you will carry in the truck.

If one doesn't exceed cargo capacity, they won't exceed the GVRW of the tow vehicle. In most cases, one will run afoul of inadequate cargo capacity for the tow vehicle.

In almost all cases, a WDH will be required.

In our configuration, the tow rating of the truck is 9500 lbs with a cargo weight rating of 1386. The trailer GVWR is 7685 which is 80% of the tow rating. The tongue weight {measured} is 775 (dual axle trailer @ 10%). So 1386 - 775 = 611 for passengers and "stuff". The curb weight of the truck assumes a full tank of gas. From 611 - (2 x 200 lb passengers) and we are near the cargo weight limit. Add a grill and table and toolbox and we are AT cargo weight limit for the truck.

FYI - a 4WD will have about 200 lb less cargo capacity than a 2WD due to the 4 x 4 added hardware.

If it is possible to get a newer tow vehicle that might help a little. My F-150 is a 18 (5.5 bed) but has good towing and payload. I also believe from Ford the payload includes a full tank of gas. A lot of the newer 1/2 tons have both good payload and towing you got to look for them.

Payload: 1645 (a little lower then yours but towing capacity is good)
towing capacity: 11,200 (that is the weight after 500lbs for 4x4)
7000 gvwr
front axle: 3450
rear axle: 3800
3.55 electronic locking rear end

Thanks for the reply and thoughts. That's kind of what I thought as well. More concerned about not breaking things than needed to speed up more slowly than with no/light load.

That's correct; 3.21 axle and 6'4" bed. The lowest of the 2013 V8 combinations available. :mad:. Didn't realize that when I bought it 8 years ago. Does shift nice tho. Lol.
I had a 2013 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 6 sp trans with a 3.21 gear. Just like yours! It was a great truck and we loved it. However I now have a 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 8 sp. trans with a 3.91 gear.. THE DIFFERENCE IS AMAZING!!!! The truck with the 3.91 gets 20-22 MPG highway and turns the rear tires over every time I try to pull out of my driveway or neighborhood. It has TWICE the pep the truck with the 3.21 gear had.

In my opinion you will not be happy towing a trailer with the 3.21 gear. Trade that truck for one with the 8 sp trans and 3.91 gear and you'll love it!! If you can't swing a new truck right now I would seriously consider changing the rear axle ratio. It will cost less than $1000 but will transform your truck into a nice trailer towing rig. Since your truck has the 6 sp transmission I would go with a 3.73 gear. The newer 8 sp. has a double overdrive to help with the MPG's. A 3.91 gear with the 6 sp. may be a bit much.

Latest resources

Back