Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
There should never be risk of an awning deploying with an engine running.

Ref:

Last edited:
It is my understanding that there IS an ignition cutoff with the Girard awnings. It just doesn’t ALWAYS work, apparently. We will be using the fool-resistant disconnect system from now on; pull the plug! It is now STEP 1 on the departure checklist.

TJ

I confirmed with Girard this morning that they provide an ignition interlock to Newmar with the awning. It is supposed to prevent what happened to us. I suggested that Girard might want to do some further testing of its interlock unit. He did mention that there have been cases where the interlock was not properly wired on some coaches. That will be on the check-list for resolving our issue.

TJ

When this issue can up a year or so ago, I deployed my awnings while parked and then started the engine. Sure enough the awnings retracted. There is definitely an interlock system in place.
Might be worth testing on your rig.

When this issue can up a year or so ago, I deployed my awnings while parked and then started the engine. Sure enough the awnings retracted. There is definitely an interlock system in place.
Might be worth testing on your rig.
The engine was running on our coach throughout the unintended deployment. And, the awning was retracted while the engine was running, using the remote. Something ain’t right here!

TJ

The engine was running on our coach throughout the unintended deployment. And, the awning was retracted while the engine was running, using the remote. Something ain’t right here!

TJ
but, if that simple test that @flyboy013 outlined doesn’t pass, you know you either Newmar didn’t install an interlock when they should have, or Newmar did not install it properly. In either case, Newmar’s negligence and that’s more points in your favor for a replacement.

It might also be worth a visit to Girard. I think that was how @CaptainGizmo discovered that Newmar was improperly installing them and we ended up getting a fix for that. If you were to visit Girard and they can show twisting, warping or other damage that would be consistent with a collision of that kind you described, that’s even more stuff in your corner.

I am pleased to report that Girard has stepped up and committed to replacing our awning, no “ifs, ands or buts.” We are now in the process of scheduling when and where this will take place and the ball is in our court. We’ll make a decision tomorrow, after we determine our availability schedule.

There was no defensiveness at all from Girard from the very start, they were wanting to get to the bottom of this and makes things right. I’m giving Girard top marks on this.

TJ

It is my understanding that there IS an ignition cutoff with the Girard awnings. It just doesn’t ALWAYS work, apparently. We will be using the fool-resistant disconnect system from now on; pull the plug! It is now STEP 1 on the departure checklist.

TJ
Where is the plug? I want to add this to my check list.

Where is the plug? I want to add this to my check list.
Mine is on ods side, forward of the peg bay compartment, opposite the oasis.

Latest resources

Back