RV Year
RV Make
Rockwood
RV Model
Regent
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
I recently bought our first RV, a 1992 30' Rockwood Regency. Buying a 29 year old RV I knew there would be problems to address but the one thing I found that amazes me is the obvious lack of quality control at the Rockwood factory. For the most part it has been little things like seat belts installed upside down. I suppose those could have been taken out and put back in wrong by a previous owner. There are reading/map lamps above the driver and passenger seats. On the driver side one of the screws goes into the edge of the hole for the wiring so only one screw was holding the light in place. Screws that hold the dash panel in place completely missed the rim they are suppose to go into. Luckily there are plenty of screws to keep the panel in place.

Like I said, most of the mistakes I have found are minor and easy to fix. That is until 2 days ago. The Kitchen window leaks every time it rains. Not a little but a constant filling of the lower track. One of the previous owners tried to seal the leak by caulking around the window with silicone....lots of it. I figured I would need to remove the window, clean everything off nd reseal it. With heavy rain in the forecast the next couple of days the wife suggested taping some plastic over the top half of the window. That is when I found the cause of the leak. All the windows have slots in the bottom of the frame to allow any moisture to drain out, except this one. The drain slots are there...at the top of the window. The window was installed upside down. I am sure it was done this way at the factory because a warning sticker on the generator exhaust fumes was right side up. The sticker was affixed so it could be read from the outside instead of being readable from the inside.

The rain is supposed to end today and one forecast for the next week. Time to remove the window and reinstall it properly.

Welcome to the RV manufacturing business model.

Quality is built into the product. It can not be "inspected in" as inspections are after the fact and can not cover 100% of anything. Thus any quality inspection is a "spot check" of what is available to be seen. What about the stuff that can't be seen or inspected?

Quality control should be an ongoing thing during any type of manufacturing.
Agreed. It is a dedicated process improvement system. Unlike many that try to inspect each item for quality which is a total waste of time and money.

I don't discount what you are saying, but for a rig to be still on the road and usable after 30 years; the QC was pretty good. We are seeing rigs being built these days that can't get a month on the road without having to sit out the season.

Just sayin

I don't discount what you are saying, but for a rig to be still on the road and usable after 30 years; the QC was pretty good. We are seeing rigs being built these days that can't get a month on the road without having to sit out the season.

Just sayin
Just as I've stated earlier, the further one gets away from day one, week one, month one, year one, the longer the item is likely to survive. This is referred to as "infant mortality" in the electronics business. This is the reason we purchased a 2016 model travel trailer. It is in better condition today than any 2021 or 2022 model. Remember I said, "new only guarantees new and does not guarantee good".

Just as I've stated earlier, the further one gets away from day one, week one, month one, year one, the longer the item is likely to survive. This is referred to as "infant mortality" in the electronics business. This is the reason we purchased a 2016 model travel trailer. It is in better condition today than any 2021 or 2022 model. Remember I said, "new only guarantees new and does not guarantee good".
This is why I never buy extended warranties for electronics. If it doesn't fail in the stores warranty period, it most likely wont fail at all.

Latest resources

Back