• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bradandsusi

RVF Newbee
Hello all.
Hope the New Year is treating everyone good!
I pulled out the Anode rod out of my water heater and the following pics is what I found.
Anybody have any idea what's going on?
It looks and feels like little rocks attached to the rod.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
IMG_7042.jpg
IMG_7044.jpg

It looks like it's doing what it's supposed to do - protecting your water heater. It's about time for a replacement.

Yes, it is a sacrificial rod or anode. It is used to resolve the electrolysis issue which is what it is doing. This is much better than eating the insides of your water heater. Just replace it. I do that every couple of years. Draining the water heater is part of my winterizing process. After draining the heater, put the anode road back in place to keep "critters" out of the water heater.

Yes, it is a sacrificial rod or anode. It is used to resolve the electrolysis issue which is what it is doing. This is much better than eating the insides of your water heater. Just replace it. I do that every couple of years. Draining the water heater is part of my winterizing process. After draining the heater, put the anode road back in place to keep "critters" out of the water heater.
thank you so much.

You actually have a lot of life left in the rod you pictured. You can use it until you see the wire that the sacrificial metel is on.
1642538378829.png

Hello all.
I pulled out the Anode rod out of my water heater and the following pics is what I found.
View attachment 10508View attachment 10507
I'd clean it up with a file or some steel wool and put it back in for another year. It is a long way from being consumed.

Hello all.
View attachment 10508View attachment 10507
This is what the anode rod is for. It is made out a material that will slowly disintegrate instead of the liner inside your water heater.
You are suggested to replace them once a year under normal use. They cost about $10-12 and can be bought on ebay, Amazon etc...
Their entire purpose is to sacrifice themselves to keep the inside of your water heater from deteriorating.
You should also watch a video on You tube that recommends flushing it out with a water powered Nozzle also available from Amazon for $18.
Do a search on You Tube for "Suburban water heater diagnosis" and also "maintenance".

You actually have a lot of life left in the rod you pictured. You can use it until you see the wire that the sacrificial metel is on.
View attachment 10539
The anode rod at the bottom of this picture should be replaced. If vibration during travel causes the wire supporting the anode material breaks, the remenants are then loose in the water heater. I don't view this as desireable.

The anode rod at the bottom of this picture should be replaced. If vibration during travel causes the wire supporting the anode material breaks, the remenants are then loose in the water heater. I don't view this as desireable.
That's why it is pictured, in order to show when it should be replaced.

Latest resources

Back