• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack L

RVF Regular
In regards to 220 volts; How come I only need two hots and a ground for a dryer, but for a range, I need two hots, a neutral and a ground?
Can I get by for a range with two hots and a ground and no neutral, or is the neutral required for some 120volt controls ?
I am not interested in what the NEC calls for.
It seems to me years ago they both just called for a 2/C with a ground or am I wrong

Does this have something to do with an RV? I guess I'm confused, what would you want in an RV that would need a 220 plug?

Your Dryer runs 100% on 220v. The range has both 110v and 220v circuits. Why install a transformer to step down...when the 110v is there...just need the neutral.

Most RV's are actually 110v devices. A 30A rv is just using one leg and the neutral, and ground...whereas the 50A rv normally has two legs and the neutral and ground. Some high end coaches actually have 220v appliances such as Advantium Microwaves (220v model) and Dryer's that run on 220v. Nice to have...but then you're locked into having 50A shore or running your 220v/110v generator to use those appliances. Our 110v coach uses a single phase QD8000 generator. So, it's limited to 110v appliances as well.

I assume you are trying to connect your 50A coach to a 3-prong dryer outlet. No...don't do it. The rv needs as a minimum...Hot leg, Neutral, Ground. Skip that,...and you're gonna have nothing. If you accidentally wire the second leg to the neutral you will toast your coach.

The NEC is your friend. You make it sound like it's a trivial thing...but it's there to prevent damaging electrical appliances, and starting fires. Stick with the code...it's your friend!!!!!!!!!!

Does this have something to do with an RV? I guess I'm confused, what would you want in an RV that would need a 220 plug?
No need to be confused - I already have 220 volts and I already have a 220 volt electric dryer. Now I am getting rid of all my propane stuff and am putting in a 220 volt range and yes I have the ampacity

No need to be confused - I already have 220 volts and I already have a 220 volt electric dryer. Now I am getting rid of all my propane stuff and am putting in a 220 volt range and yes I have the ampacity
Would you mind sharing what make/model RV you have? Just curious. My recently sold 43' DP (all electric) only had a 110 dryer. I guess I find it strange that a "mobile" RV could handle two or three a/c units, a 220 dryer, and a 220 range off of a 50amp RV supply.

Would you mind sharing what make/model RV you have? Just curious. My recently sold 43' DP (all electric) only had a 110 dryer. I guess I find it strange that a "mobile" RV could handle two or three a/c units, a 220 dryer, and a 220 range off of a 50amp RV supply.
It is not mobile. It is a 40 foot trailer on a permanent site.
With proper wiring and proper disconnect switches/breakers for various 220 volts so that certain items cannot be used while others are in use

It might help in the future if you would put that information in a signature line, or at least provide it when asking for advise. There is a huge difference between setting up systems in a permanent trailer or park model compared to an actual RV.

I would download the manual for the dryer...or remove the plate on the back where the terminals for your dryer cord attach. You will see if it is a three or four wire termination. Many units give you the option. Wire your outlet accordingly. The NEMA standard for that plug/receptacle combination will show what goes to what pin on the receptacle. If the code maters..then the conduit size (fill rating), the wire gauge, and the breaker you add will all need to be properly rated. Not a place to cut corners.

It might help in the future if you would put that information in a signature line, or at least provide it when asking for advise. There is a huge difference between setting up systems in a permanent trailer or park model compared to an actual RV.
My question was a simple one for an electrician to answer. You might want to reread it
There was and is no need for any other information

My question was a simple one for an electrician to answer. You might want to reread it
There was and is no need for any other information
We prefer everyone put the details of their RV in their profile. You can do so by clicking your Profile button on the right side of the toolbar and complete your profile. This allows people to help others here better knowing the details behind your questions. This is a forum of RVers, not electricians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back