RV Model
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
Yes
As we creep forward to our dream of FTing, we are talking about dealers, how to order, when to order, how long it will take and what options, etc. One option is sticking. I also have a question on paint.

We’re looking at ordering sometime in the next month or two.

We are at the options on the DS and the only ones that don‘t make sense are the “Girard Awnings”.

What, exactly, do you get for $14,000, MSRP, that makes that option so special and on every rig on every dealer lot?

We like the Girard awnings, want the slide toppers, want the window awnings (manual)-how is ordering them separately differently from this package?

We pretty much have every other option checked. The awnings for $14K are a big question. We talked to the local dealer and can’t get a super clear answer. I won’t name them since they are a super popular one....

Regarding paint—we would be looking at a paint color that is available on a Ventana. We really like the blue. Any blue. We love the blue on another competing model I won’t name. Is it possible to get that on a DS? What is the cost? Ball park? Just want blue and not browns...

We are also going to do FPU. You all convinced us this is the way to go. DH who reads this and the other forum as I send him links believes that the Mother ship is the only way to get is serviced. After dealing with our Canyon Star, he is right.

Thanks for all the help on this incredible journey!!

We are not big awning fans, so when we ordered our 2018 Mountain Aire, we did not add the Girard awning option. We have not regretted that decision. Keeping big awnings under control when deployed requires quite a bit of attention in our experience. We have found that the wind-sensor awning retract is not that reliable, so you have to be constantly aware of wind conditions and retract the awnings at the first sign of wind bounce. And, a sudden, unexpected wind gust can damage an awning before you can react if the auto-retract is slow in reacting. At least, that's our take.

As for the custom paint, I believe substituting different paint colors in the existing model graphics ran about $1,900. Changing the graphic pattern was significantly more expensive.

We did not opt for the factory pickup because we had a coach to trade in and the logistics of doing that along with setting up a FPU was more than we wanted to tackle. In hindsight, we wish we had jumped through the additional hoops to do that. The dealer P/U walk-through was pretty cursory and it took us a year or more to figure out many of the things we would have learned about during a FPU.

Good luck on finalizing your coach order.

TJ

Last edited:
Be sure to read the latest challenges with Girard installations if you haven’t already. It’s an expensive option but you can also do standard (Dometic) awnings but some don’t like the visual look of those on the side of the coach versus Girards. The same challenges apply that @TJ&LadyDi mentions about the wind Etc.

here’s a thread on Girard vs dometic that’s might be helpful.

FPU x2. I have not done it but I will on my next coach without hesitation.

I just went through this on my order. I chose to add two Girard Nova awnings in lieu of the standard, and forego the rest of the Girard package. Doing that, you can elect the Carefree slide toppers and manual window awnings, and save about $6K in the process. We just didn’t see the value in the $15K package. It remains to be seen if going with the Novas instead of the standard G2000s was a good decision. Novas get mixed reviews.

I changed two colors on the exterior and it came to $1700. I have read that changing one color is the same cost as changing four, but I cannot confirm that.

In regards to paint option, when we did our build sheet for a 2020 you could change any or all colors at a price of $2000. We were told we could not change graphics at all.

We are not big awning fans, so when we ordered our 2018 Mountain Aire, we did not add the Girard awning option. We have not regretted that decision. Keeping big awnings under control when deployed requires quite a bit of attention in our experience. We have found that the wind-sensor awning retract is not that reliable, so you have to be constantly aware of wind conditions and retract the awnings at the first sign of wind bounce. And, a sudden, unexpected wind gust can damage an awning before you can react if the auto-retract is slow in reacting. At least, that's our take.

As for the custom paint, I believe substituting different paint colors in the existing model graphics ran about $1,900. Changing the graphic pattern was significantly more expensive.

We did not opt for the factory pickup because we had a coach to trade in and the logistics of doing that along with setting up a FPU was more than we wanted to tackle. In hindsight, we wish we had jumped through the additional hoops to do that. The dealer P/U walk-through was pretty cursory and it took us a year or more to figure out many of the things we would have learned about during a FPU.

Good luck on finalizing your coach order.

TJ

Thank you TJ! I appreciate the feedback. I did read the thread on the problems with the Girard awnings and on the Canyon Star (2017) we had the standard awnings with arms. They were OK. They didn’t work from the outset and needed to be removed and completely reinstalled before we even took the rig off the lot. 3 weeks later we were able to get on the road. That’s when the real problems began...

We are only looking for a color change, not graphics. Just blue, somewhere in the scheme. We know we have to pay for any change.

Everyone has raved about FPU and after our PDI with the CS and our tech not knowing what the “stick in the basement“ was for (slideout locks :eek:) we have determined that FPU is worth the cost.

Really appreciate your insights!

We talked to the local dealer and can’t get a super clear answer. I won’t name them since they are a super popular one....

I placed my order thru your super popular dealer. :LOL:

I just went through this on my order. I chose to add two Girard Nova awnings in lieu of the standard, and forego the rest of the Girard package. Doing that, you can elect the Carefree slide toppers and manual window awnings, and save about $6K in the process. We just didn’t see the value in the $15K package. It remains to be seen if going with the Novas instead of the standard G2000s was a good decision. Novas get mixed reviews.

I changed two colors on the exterior and it came to $1700. I have read that changing one color is the same cost as changing four, but I cannot confirm that.

Thank you for this! We went to the Girard site and now have a much better understanding of the differences after your telling us what you did. This sounds exactly like what we are wanting to do.

Same on the paint. We don’t want to change the graphics, just get some blue in the color scheme.

Thank you for the follow up!

I placed my order thru your super popular dealer. :LOL:

I don’t want to burn any bridges by naming anyone...:cool: Their service and everyone there was outstanding. Our MH, overall, was a dog. It really turned DH off on the experience. He is willing to give it another go after reading all the positive stuff and rethinking just sitting at home the last 7 months.

Be sure to read the latest challenges with Girard installations if you haven’t already. It’s an expensive option but you can also do standard (Dometic) awnings but some don’t like the visual look of those on the side of the coach versus Girards. The same challenges apply that @TJ&LadyDi mentions about the wind Etc.

here’s a thread on Girard vs dometic that’s might be helpful.

FPU x2. I have not done it but I will on my next coach without hesitation.

This was super helpfu! I did read that thread and went to their website to understand the differences. Duh! Now it makes sense! Red Baron‘s explanation was also very good.

Re: FPU-we are committed to doing it. Our dealer was good, however, I believe the factory can really get it done better and while we are there we can get to know them for the future.

Thank you!

Latest resources

Back