Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Varies, I use a Demco SS Kar Kaddy
Fulltimer
No
What is recommended for cleaning radiator fins? I have a rear radiator and there is a lot of dirt restricting air flow through the radiator. I am thinkinging of using simple green. Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

When I was my MH with my pressure washer I just spray it down at that time.

Simple Green

Thanks @Neal, mine is really gunked up. I have to clean out 18 years of slobber tube oil and road grime. I am thinking of using CRC Brake Clean and then Simple Green purple, and then flush with a garden hose with hot water. Mine is rear radiator, CAC, and transmission cooler. Access is a problem with out removing the R, CAC, and the TC. I don't have the ability to do that safely.

Be careful not to use products that can be harmful to aluminum. Regular Simple Green is one of them. They also make a cleaner that is safe for aluminum.

I used Zep (Simple Green Purple not available at Menards, Home Depot, or Farm Fleet) HD Purple. I let it sit for a few minutes and then rinsed thoroughly with both pressure washer and garden hose from inside the engine compartment and from the rear. Results were acceptable. Got lots of black pecks on the rear "bumper" so I think I got quite a bit out.

I sat down on the engine and sprayed cleaner all over the inside of radiator and CAC as best I could working around the fan blades. Then I thoroughly rinsed and repeated the process several times.

Thanks @Neal, mine is really gunked up. I have to clean out 18 years of slobber tube oil and road grime. I am thinking of using CRC Brake Clean and then Simple Green purple, and then flush with a garden hose with hot water. Mine is rear radiator, CAC, and transmission cooler. Access is a problem with out removing the R, CAC, and the TC. I don't have the ability to do that safely.
We had that buildup issue years ago, with our old Winnebago….finally had to have it professionally serviced, on an emergency basis, when the engine overheated while we were on a trip - EXTREMELY expensive (several thousand dollars) - not sure that we weren’t taken advantage of.
We had never cleaned the fins we could see (actually it never looked that bad).
It’s now my job to thoroughly study the manual and keep up maintenance schedule for our newer dp. Fortunately the previous owner passed on his meticulous records.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back