Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jimbopops

RVF Newbee
I'm moving up from a Ram 2500 diesel to a 3500 also diesel std bed SRW. I'll be pulling a Solitude 310GKR, GVWR-15,000 and hitch weight 2350. I can't decide between the 6.7 turbo diesel, 6 speed or the 6.7 HO with the aisin transmission. Who has experience with this and also what gear ratio? I know the higher gear ratio gives you more towing power and better acceleration but mpg goes down. Also the HO is a heap more money and more expensive maintainence. The HO gives you 3230 more pounds of towing capability but 170 pounds less of payload. I need help to make this decision. Thanks

The aisin transmission is the one you want. When I bought my 3500, I compared the specs and researched the drive trains. Ho plus Aisin gives the most capability and longevity.

The aisin transmission is the one you want. When I bought my 3500, I compared the specs and researched the drive trains. Ho plus Aisin gives the most capability and longevity.
If I go that way I’m thinking the 3.73. What do you think?

I went 4.1, but needed heavy tow with drw.

Loaded, the 4.1 will give you better mileage. Empty the 3.73 will.

The 4.1 will never struggle on a climb, whereas the 3.73 might feel a bit of the climb.

Personally I spec my trucks to easily handle the heaviest loads, that way when driving a lighter load it feels like a sports truck.

There is around $3k difference between ho with aisin, and the standard diesel. The drw and axle are only a few hundred difference, but will make your towing extremely comfortable.

I also went with the air leveling system and am very pleased with its performance when loaded.

Empty it feels like a go-kart...very rough.

I bought a 2018 off the lot. Aisin 3.73 and air level. I'd do the same again if I needed one. Air level was very handy.

EXACTLY!! The 6 speed seems to have some 'issues' keeping going when worked a little. BTW, I have a 5.9 with the 48RE and so far it does good at just over 22k pounds with the 3:73 gears.

I don't have the Ram, but I went with DRW and the 4.10 gear last year. I think you have to compare how much you will actually be towing and how much you will be using the truck just for regular driving. We are full time travelers so the decision was an easy one.

If you are going to go that big on a truck, go big or go home. If you are looking at a 2500, you may want to ask that question, imho. But with what you are saying trailer wise etc. just go big or go home well maybe except for a dually.

Latest resources

Back