Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Texas Sooner

RVF Newbee
We have looked at the dual rear wheel versions of the Ford 350, the GMC/Chevy 3500, and the Ram 3500. We have driven them all and have finally decided to move forward on the Ram. We believe that this probably will be our last tow vehicle so we want to equip it right so that it will work for us for quite some time.

So, here's where I would like to get some feedback and suggestions from those that have owned or currently own this truck. We have visited dealers all over and due to the lack of inventory we have been repeatedly told that we will need to order one. We are prepared to do that but are not quite sure about some of the options that we can order. So I'm going to list out some options and would like to get your suggestions, along with your reason as to why, so that I will better understand how to proceed.

• We test drove a Laramie version as that was all they had in the 3500 DRW but we did look at some other versions of trucks that they had in a 1500 series. We have narrowed it down to either a Limited Longhorn or a Limited. Recommendations between these two versions?
  • We are leaning toward a 4x4 with a Crew Cab and an 8 foot bed. We're pretty set on the 4x4 but is the 8 foot bed the best choice?
  • We are going with the diesel but there are two options. There is the standard 6.7L Cummins or the HO version of that engine which runs about $3K more. Recommendations?
  • Transmission – 6 speed Aisin was the standard default but I believe that there was another option too?
  • The 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio?
  • Alternators - three choices. Single–rated at 220 amp (std), Dual–rated at 380 amps, or Dual–rated at 440 amps. Recommendations?
  • The 50-gallon fuel tank option sounds like a no-brainer to me?
  • 17” or 20” wheels – both are standard for no extra charge. Recommendations?
  • A Mopar 20k or 30k hitch is an option but would I be better to look at an aftermarket hitch or just choose one of these?

I'm hoping that there are plenty of Ram owners on here that can help me out with these decisions. I have a chance to get a truck that can be fitted out for us and I don't want to look back a few months down the road and say, "I wish that I had gotten this option, or I sure didn't need this one. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

50 gallon tank requires the 8' bed. I will give you a few things I ordered in my 2500. Laramie trim. 8' bed. Make sure you order the bed option which includes liner, lights, and an old man step (OMS) which drops lower than the rear bumper. 50 gallon tank. Bucket seats for the added center storage. Wheel to wheel running boards. Cross traffic alert and safety group. As far as gearing it depends on the weight of your trailer. The heavier the trailer the lower the gearing. The HO option is not popular nor worth the upcharge according to the ram forums You probably know that you can build the truck you want on the Ram website which gives you plenty of time to ponder what is offered and what you want as options. I always go with the smaller tires on my trucks.

50 gallon tank requires the 8' bed. I will give you a few things I ordered in my 2500. Laramie trim. 8' bed. Make sure you order the bed option which includes liner, lights, and an old man step (OMS) which drops lower than the rear bumper. 50 gallon tank. Bucket seats for the added center storage. Wheel to wheel running boards. Cross traffic alert and safety group. As far as gearing it depends on the weight of your trailer. The heavier the trailer the lower the gearing. The HO option is not popular nor worth the upcharge according to the ram forums You probably know that you can build the truck you want on the Ram website which gives you plenty of time to ponder what is offered and what you want as options. I always go with the smaller tires on my trucks.
I used the same things.

I have the limited , HO, 4wd, drw, 8ft bed, 50gal tank.

I have every option or upgrade possible and love the truck..it's tough and luxurious.

I went with 17in wheels for comfort and capabilities. 20in has less weight capacity and less comfort due to less tire.

17in are functional
20in are for looks

I sell Ram trucks for a living. You definitely want the Aisin transmission behind the Cummins. And if you have a choice the H.O. Cummins would be just that much better wouldn't it? I mean who doesn't want 1050 lb. ft. of TQ?? :ROFLMAO:

I sell Ram trucks for a living. You definitely want the Aisin transmission behind the Cummins. And if you have a choice the H.O. Cummins would be just that much better wouldn't it? I mean who doesn't want 1050 lb. ft. of TQ?? :ROFLMAO:
What good is 1050 lbs. of torque when torque management wont allow you to put it to the ground?

What good is 1050 lbs. of torque when torque management wont allow you to put it to the ground?
Not sure what you're talking about Sanda? Please explain?

Not sure what you're talking about Sanda? Please explain?
Torque management keeps you from using 1050 lbs. of torque. Without it you would tear up the rest of the drive train. That's why I'm not very impressed with these high numbers. Once you exceed about 7-8 hundred lbs. your not gaining much with the torque management. IMO

Torque management does not reduce your torque all the time, only in certain situations. Like stomping on the throttle from a dead start, or revving the engine up and slamming the transmission into gear or accelerating with the throttle while simultaneously putting on the brakes. It does not reduce the torque while towing, which is where you need it. But rest assured, you need the Aisin transmission for this engine.

If you haven't bought the truck yet, here's my advice:

Definitely 4x4
I believe you have to get the 8' bed with DRW but I could be wrong on that.
Definitely get the high output engine and the Aisin transmission
I would go with the 4.10 rear end for towing.
17" wheels should be smoother and more comfortable, though 20s might be stiffer and give more confidence when towing.

Latest resources

Back