RV Model
Ventana LE 4037
RV Length
40' 11"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Trailblazer
Fulltimer
No
2017 Freightliner XC series, rear radiator, ISB engine.
I’m wanting to obtain a coolant sample for testing. The radiator drain petcock is so hidden, I can only see it by using my phone’s camera. Gaining access with tools, fingers or a capture cup is not possible.
According to the directions for the test strips, the sample should NOT come from the recovery tank.
Any other DIYers out there to provide advise?

Does your coach have extended life coolant? 600K miles? If so you don't need to be testing it.

I have no clue. This is the sticker at the radiator
BCA7F4C7-9606-4608-89D3-F6CD5734C5DE.jpeg

That’s all I’ve got. The last time at the local Freightliner shop I was charged for a test strip.

hmmm...reading line #6...maybe a petcock up front at the heater?

Yours likely does not have it then, somewhere mid 2017 they switched to it. I have it. After hearing what happened to Ted (quartzsite rally) apparently with some screw up causing cavitation, I would pay at the next service to have the coolant replaced with extended life.

@RandyB Well you won't want to hear this but on my 2015 Ventana I'm able to get a sample from the radiator drain petcock.

Based on the Fill Procedure label I believe you could get a valid sample from the heater loop petcock. I've not looked to see just where that is located so it may or may not be of any help.

Based on the ATTENTION label it appears your system contains SCA's therefore does need to be periodically monitored.

In our case ( my "recovery tank" is the same as yours) I believe you may be able to get a valid sample from the tank as long as you have not added anything to the tank since the last time the engine was run at full operating temperature. You might contact freightliner to see if this would be a valid sample under the conditions I provided.

The tag says it is filled with purple coolant. However, looking at the color of the coolant on the recovery tank, it sure looks reddish.
More pondering ?

this is a mid 2016 construction of a 2017 model year

@RandyB Same coolant color situation here. Here are the products I'm using for maintenance. Note the test strips have an expiration date. You can see the date on the individual strip package. In this case these expired in Aug. My experience is the strips I've received are good for about a year so If you are going to do it yourself I suggest to buy a small pack. I also have engine coolant, trany & engine oil tested about once a year and the coolant test provides another method to measure the condition of your coolant. I use JR Lubricant services for testing. Coolant test kit runs ~$35 but you still need to get a good sample.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 9
You have the same coolant as is in my 2016 Ventana. There's a petcock located beside the oil filter and that's where I get my sample. I check the SCA content quarterly and get the test strip off Amazon. I don't get more that three strips at a time as they are usually good for a year.

Extended coolant came about Nov 2016 chassis build date. How do I know, my 2017 Dutch Star FL chassis had a build date of October 2016 and I missed it by 2 weeks.

Thank you @stang37. That’s what I was looking for. Until spring, I will keep an eye on the coolant via test strips with the sample taken as you suggest.
Thank you @Neal. I like the suggestion of flush the old and refill with the new. Next service interval.
The records indicate that my coach came out of production 7-12-2016, so SCA coolant according to @NWIP

Thank you all

Latest resources

Back