Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
I have noticed in very specific situations the steps do not retract. Specifically when the steps are extended and the”stay out” when door closes switch is engaged. When the RV was new, when you engaged the engine starter the steps would automatically retract regardless of switch positions. Now it is 50/50, sometimes they retract and others, typically when I am paying attention, they stay extended??

any thoughts? Thus is on my 2018 Newmar CanyonStar

Mine stayed out once. It was when we were getting ready to go down the road a few miles for a service appointment. I called the shop and told them I would be late due to my steps not retracting. He told me to lay down and tap the step motor with a hammer while the DW opened and closed the door. After about the third or fourth tap they started working again. According to him there is a magnet inside those electric motors that will get stuck sometimes (2017 Newmar 4369).

Mine turned out to be the control module. It's under the step near the motor assembly. I changed out the module and it worked perfectly.

Mine has a switch by the door that will make them stay out while you're parked. If I forget to flip the switch the steps stay out as I'm driving. I've had several people in camp grounds wave me down to tell me my steps are out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When I first bought our coach my steps were working fine and then they weren't, all in the same day. I found a wire in the big bundle back in the electrical bay, a heavy green one, that had come out of a butt connector. How I found it, I don't remember but I removed the butt connector and re-spliced the two wires with a heatshrink/glue butt connector and luckily have not had a problem since - been 4 years. White is usually ground on a Newmar, so I don't know what the green wire I spliced was for. The wire definition in the Owners Guide doesn't show anything to do with the steps on a green wire.

On mine a Winnebago, the magnetic switch quit working

Latest resources

Back