Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Recommendation for a replacement CO and LP gas monitor.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bob K4TAX

RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Wildwood XL 253 RLXL
RV Length
25 ft or so
TOW/TOAD
Chev 2011 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
Fulltimer
No
Seems that ours has a mind of its own and goes off when it darn well pleases. This occurs when the furnace is off, no cooking done, water heater off and doors and windows open. It is 5 years old and the label on the back of the unit says "replace after 5 years". It is a 12V direct wire system and is located near the floor next to the power distribution panel. Suggestions, please.

I would do a search online for which ever one I wanted and then just wire it in like the one that is removed.

I would do a search online for which ever one I wanted and then just wire it in like the one that is removed.
Thanks. Not quite that simple. The original CO / LP monitor is surface mounted, near the floor, and next to the hinge side of the door from the living area to the bath/bedroom area. When the door is opened and pushed back the bottom hinge side of the door strikes the existing CO / LP monitor. I was hoping to avoid another surface-mounted monitor for this reason. The door needs to open flush against the wall.

Now what I find are monitors which can be flush mounted. Except these are wider than the area available on that section of the wall.

I was hoping someone had found a smaller flush-mounted CO / LP monitor. Guess I need to look some more and be "creative".

When we had our stove top propane leak our brand new floor mounted detector never did go off. I went online and purchased two more make by Kiddy. One is a wall plug-in style which I plugged in about 3' from the stove, the other one is battery/portable and it sits next to our bed.

Take a look at some of these. I think you may find one that may fit what yo want: small co/lp rv detector at DuckDuckGo

Thanks.......found what I needed. A recessed mounting model. Faulty CO / LP monitor replacement ordered.

A bit of advice and word to the wise........most of these types of monitors require replacement in 60 mos / 5 years. Check the date on yours. And if your RV is a 2016 model or earlier, likely your smoke, CO and LP monitors should be replaced. They don't last forever.......even though they may "test good".

I’ve asked this before and never got a direct answer. If your detector is not working, will your furnace still operate?

In our trailer, the CO detector is not tied in with the furnace. So yes, the furnace will or should operate without a CO detector.

Latest resources

Back