Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Recommendations for 22.5 tires in the Sacramento area?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I have Michelins 275/70 22.5 tires, 7 years old, 51k miles, showing more sidewall cracking than I am comfortable with - feels like gambling at this point. So rather than wait until the end of the year or when I find myself in a low or no sales tax state, I think I’ll just buy new ones now. Either Toyo or Michelin. So if anyone has had good experiences with a commercial tire shop in the Sacto area I’d like to hear about it. I have about 2 weeks to get this done.

Rich I have had good luck with McCoy tires in French camp which is not far from Sac and their prices are competitive usually. Also, some locations of Schwab tires do big rig tires. I know the one in Manteca does and I am sure locations closer to you might as well.

Rich I have had good luck with McCoy tires in French camp which is not far from Sac and their prices are competitive usually. Also, some locations of Schwab tires do big rig tires. I know the one in Manteca does and I am sure locations closer to you might as well.

I was hoping you might reply - do you know anything about East Bay Tire? They have a shop about a block from the FL shop in Sac.

I don‘t. The biggest issue is I hear is even getting tires especially Michelins. You may have to call a few places to locate some that are priced right and they can get them.

Another idea is call the guys at west coast frame shop in west sac and see who they recommend. Very knowledgeable people there.
West Coast Frame & Collision Repair, Inc.
I’ll do that and also look into the FMCA pricing deal. I did my research last fall and pretty well concluded that Toyos are as good or maybe better, but they dont make anything in my size - they are all 2” taller (295/75) which is just enough to be an issue. So….maybe back to Michelin.

I’ll do that and also look into the FMCA pricing deal. I did my research last fall and pretty well concluded that Toyos are as good or maybe better, but they dont make anything in my size - they are all 2” taller (295/75) which is just enough to be an issue. So….maybe back to Michelin.
Have you considered the company that advertises in the FMCA magazine that has a mobile tire service nationwide? They come to you, wherever that may be. I thought about using them when the time comes and let them come to my house. I'm sure they have a truck with a lift and the air impact wrench and the means to be able to balance the tires. Check it out! They mioght be better than dealing with a commercial truck tire store.

I was going to look into the FMCA pricing but wasn't aware they had a list of mobile tire services too. I’ll take a look at that today while I’m waiting around at the Freightliner shop. Im not a member but the savings is said to be far more than the $80 membership fee. And yes, mobile tire guys have everything they need to swap out tires, but I also want to have at least the fronts balanced if I can. When Im in Austin next month I plan to run up to the Centramatics shop in Alvarado for amset of balancers.

Rich,
It's a nation wide company supposedly that does mobile tire changes for RVers at a FMCA discount price. I thought the concept was interesting. Most RVers are not old truck drivers or commercial truck salesmen (like me) so they are not familiar with truck tire shops and are a little intimidated usually when it comes time for repair or maintenance. This way the guy in the truck comes to their house so the intimidation factor goes way down. And I would think the price point should be pretty good as well without all that realestate and buildings to pay for.

Rich,
It's a nation wide company supposedly that does mobile tire changes for RVers at a FMCA discount price. I thought the concept was interesting. Most RVers are not old truck drivers or commercial truck salesmen (like me) so they are not familiar with truck tire shops and are a little intimidated usually when it comes time for repair or maintenance. This way the guy in the truck comes to their house so the intimidation factor goes way down. And I would think the price point should be pretty good as well without all that realestate and buildings to pay for.
Well I ended up going to East Bay Tire because they are right across the street from Sacramento Truck Service where the coach was anyway, they had the tires in stock, they mostly do mobile so there was no waiting at the shop, and they participate in the FMCA pricing program. So it worked out and the net savings was around $242 after the cost of the FMCA membership. And because of my background I like hanging out in a shop, getting a bit dirty, and learning something.

I inspected my brakes (they look almost new) while the wheels were off, bought improved valve stem extensions (one had some really bad wear), had the fronts machine balanced, and beads thrown in the rears. So those last two things pretty well negate the need for Centramatics and another $1k expense. All in all a very good experience. My tires only had 51k miles on them but they were 7 years old and showing heavy enough cracking to make me nervous. So I’m all set now.

Below is a pic of the valve stem extender - the rubber isolator had dropped between the wheels some time ago and I put it back but didnt notice what had happened to the extender. It might be hard to see in the pics but there wasn’t much metal left before the air was going to start showing.

Attachments

• 7E514D8C-8E18-496E-9C61-CD5C7CC9A2EB.jpeg
    7E514D8C-8E18-496E-9C61-CD5C7CC9A2EB.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2FE913AA-136D-4B21-97A9-365DDB238A6E.jpeg
    2FE913AA-136D-4B21-97A9-365DDB238A6E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 122EFA54-0E67-42F1-8005-F056A9483CCE.jpeg
    122EFA54-0E67-42F1-8005-F056A9483CCE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Latest resources

Back