RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4118
RV Length
41'
TOW/TOAD
2018 JL Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Ok … I know I have too much time on my hands but thought I would at least post this … just in case someone else is asking this question.

When I installed the Blue Ox base plate on our 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, I had to remove the red tow hooks which I thought gave it a good Jeep look. It looked like it was missing something without them. I had posted this on the other forum a while back and someone named rmueller responded and posted a link to a Jeep site where RVLOVER from Texas had come up with a solution to this dilemma. Here is the RVLOVER link … scroll down to the botton of it. I also did a cut and past of his post here:

How to Keep Your Jeep’s Red Rescue Hooks
Ever since we announced we were flat towing the Jeep, we’ve had a ton of questions asking how we managed to keep our red ‘rescue hooks’ after installing our four-down towing setup. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawks come from the factory with red rescue hooks on the front and rear of the Jeep. These aren’t just for looks – they also have a function if you get stuck out on the trail, so you can get towed out. We liked both the look and function of the hooks and wanted to find a way to keep them.
Most Jeeps we see that have been set up to tow 4-down no longer have the rescue hooks as the brackets for the tow bar usually need to be installed where the hooks used to be. That’s because that area is a strong structural point for connecting the tow bar equipment. We found a way to have the best of both worlds by working with a welding/fabrication shop to make us a custom solution. We got an extra set of tow bar brackets, had the ends cut off, then replaced the normal brackets with the red hooks by welding the hooks to the extra brackets. This allows us to install the brackets with the hooks back onto the Jeep anytime we like, which is pretty much any time we aren’t towing it! The hooks are also extremely functional because they are mounted in the tow bar brackets which are rated for high strength. It’s definitely not something everyone will want to do, but we think it is a really cool extra step and seems to have attracted a lot of interest. So if you’re willing to buy an extra set of brackets and find a welder to do the job, it’s a great way to retain the look of your stock Jeep.

Somehow I wound up with an extra set of tow pins in the ordering process so just needed to find a welder. Well last week I found that person (my nephew Matt up in Alabama) and he fixed me right up. Here are a few pictures of the final look.

I am back in the saddle again!!

FLSteve

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.jpg6.JPG

Last edited:
@FLSteve , you sure do have a nice Jeep family!

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

@FLSteve , you sure do have a nice Jeep family!

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO
@redbaron ... thanks, we sure like them They make great RV towing vehicles.

BTW … did you ever finish all the mods on your new Wrangler?? Need more pics.

FLSteve

Hey FLSteve! Where did you find an extra set of tow bar brackets? I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that I would love to do this modification to. It just doesn't look the same without the red tow hooks. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 14
i have those as well. I had to buy an extra set of connector brackets that insert into the front end and then had a buddy cut the connectors off and weld them to the red tow hooks. Looks great.

I'm on Amazon and Ebay looking for a set of these connector brackets and they are $42-$54!!!!! EACH!!! Did you guys pay that much?? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's a lot of money to pay for something just to cut the ends off of them.

It depends on how bad you want them. If they are going to fit on the jeep, its the only option I know of and I got the idea from rvlove.com like @FLSteve had in his post. His turned out nicer than mine. Maybe you can find a used pair somewhere?

Latest resources

Back