Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Pet or no pet, you may want your GEN to come on if you have a brown out or lose shore power so you don't return to a hot coach that will never catch up or have pets that you don't want to overheat. Here in VA where I am now it's crazy hot and humid. I'm on a one week escape in the RV so I remembered this morning to check my AGS to ensure it's setup to come on if shore power was lost, it was NOT set as I probably turned off the setting when I went for my recent annual service, but it's set now as I desire. In my case AGS AUTO and EXT INPUT set for the trigger.

@Neal- which AGS do you have? Did Newmar install it or was it aftermarket? Dealer gave me resistance on this when I ordered my coach. It seems like it would save a lot of hours on the generator.

In my case AGS AUTO and EXT INPUT set for the trigger.
what do you set the temp at turn on? where exactly is this ext input?

@Neal- which AGS do you have? Did Newmar install it or was it aftermarket? Dealer gave me resistance on this when I ordered my coach. It seems like it would save a lot of hours on the generator.

Magnum AGS with the Magnum 2812 Inverter and control head. I could not see NOT having AGS, it is a crucial part of the RV in my opinion. If batteries get low, if you lose shore power and need air conditioning, etc.

what do you set the temp at turn on? where exactly is this ext input?

AGS settings 04E - GEN RUN TEMP, set EXT INPUT means it will listen to your Dometic TSTAT and if it loses shore power then GEN provides power.

Tnx Neal. I will have to find one that works with the Xantrex 2000.

Timely...just lost shore power and GEN did its thing and came on, AC is running again.

By the way, I highly recommend ops and confidence check this, don't just set it and hope it works. Setup your AGS then go out and turn the shore power breaker(s) off and see if your GEN starts. If it does then you're all set, if not then you have to review your settings until it's right. It's not hard but test it is my recommendation.

@Neal - I thought you had posted/saved the Magnum owners manual on the forum somewhere. I thought I had downloaded it, but can’t find it. One of the problems with using an ipad is you never no where it is saving things!

@Neal - I thought you had posted/saved the Magnum owners manual on the forum somewhere. I thought I had downloaded it, but can’t find it. One of the problems with using an ipad is you never no where it is saving things!

If you hit the search button upper right and type in Magnum you'll find it. Here is the link:

I highly recommend Dropbox and that's where I store everything in an organized manner, best of my ability. I use a Dropbox > RV > Manuals folder for my location for this.

I’ve used Dropbox for years...I organize in the same way as @Neal

@Neal, do you and I have the same Magnum inverter?

I mistakenly thought that my generator would come on and keep the heat going on my rig. But the power went out, and -0- heat.

I got down there as soon as I could navigate down the mountain, but the damage was done. Hoping it's contained to the wet bay, but we'll have to wait for warmer weather to find out.

So I was trying to configure the AGS and it works fine, all except for when the power goes out. What I mean is, if I am not connected to shore power, the AGS works as expected. It will start up and run when it is necessary to adjust the coach to the warm/cool thermostat setting(s), and then it will shut off. It will also exercise itself according to what parameters you have set.

But if the rig is plugged into shore power, and said shore power goes out, the generator couldn't care less. This doesn't seem right to me and I'm not seeing where to configure it to do otherwise.

Latest resources

Back