RV Model
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins L9 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Wrangler
I am looking to replace the lock on all the basement and front door. While traveling I went to a friends coach (different year Newmar) and my keys worked on his coach. It is crazy that Newmar and other RV builders use the same key. I would hate to come back from a day out or while in storage and the basement is emptied out. I was looking at new locks from INDUSTRIAL LOCK & HARDWARE – Replace your Ch751 RV locks. They have normal keys, round keys and also a magnetic key. They say the magnetic key is pick proof and has a lot more codes. The other thing that is nice is that dirt is not a factor.Has anyone used these type of locks?

The other question is; has anyone replaced their locks? Before I start to take apart my latches to get to the lock out, I figure I would ask the group if anyone has done this.

Marc

Interesting but that doesn't surprise me. I'm not the most paranoid in the bunch so for me my thought is if someone has a key, i.e. they have a motorhome, and they have a need to be unlocking and going into my basement they have real problems and I really don't think there are that many, if any, out there that would break into a fellow RV owners coach. Maybe I'm jaded and wrong but I'm also certified lazy and don't want to be changing all of those locks out. I did change my entry door lock to the stainless one from PTL mainly for looks but my understanding was it also had unique keys but @Dutch Star Don said that wasn't the case but I thought my old keys did not work in the new lock.

You do know that the key situation is not just basement doors? I think it applies to the entry door other than the deadbolt. As much as I hate to put that on the web, I got that from the web, so it is what it is.

It is my understanding that there is a relatively small number of key patterns for the basement locks. Consequently there is a significant overlap in keys that will work between basement doors. Also the main lock on the door I believe has a 'master' key which is used by dealers to access their inventory when on the lot. Regarding the main door, this is why we always use the Dead Bolt.
My theory is that these locks keep the opportunist thieves from accessing and/or stealing your stuff. The determined, prepared thief can easily overpower the latch and do substantial damage in the process.
Also, if you use a paid RV storage yard that has on sight management you may want them to be able to use a master key to access your coach for some reason. We store the RV inside, in a secure lot/building and provide management with ready access to various compartments, i.e. electric, propane, for safety and convenience reasons.
On the road we use common sense when we choose an overnight spot. We do not overnight in parking lots frequented by undesirables.

The dead bolt key/lock is unique to your coach. Newmar techs have a master key for it. The "night latch" as I call the other one, is a separate key from the storage lock doors on my coach, however the storage locks key, would open the old coach's compartments, so those are all the same. The "night latch" key is also common to other coaches, but, not to the storage locks.

Although both keys are mostly common to other motorhomes locks, the dead bolt key is unique to your coach. The magnetic locks sound interesting, but will they work with the remote and the switch inside to lock all the bays at one time?
This situation will only change when we as owners/purchasers demand that we get door/compartment locks which are unique to our coach only, NEWMAR, this could be an option on orders which allows you to make money, provide a service unique to YOU, give this some thought.

So if I understand you all correctly, my cargo doors may have a common key? I have the CW415 key which I found easily on Amazon........

What do we need to do in order to create a more secure lock? Something with a less common key style?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

You can get new locks from the link in post #1. I am on the road and haven’t had the time to take apart the lock to measure it

All - Not sure if the "night latch key" is the same. My alpine night latch key would not open the Newmar night latch, nor would the Newmar's open the night latch on my friends tiffin coach. The dead Bolt key is unique to each coach, with a master at the factory. I have not tried my basement compartment keys on any other coach to see if they open up doors. If a fellow MH owner is at the storage facility while I'm there one day, I will ask them and we can talk about testing this.

Thanks for the information. Good to know. I have been using the night latch on overnights. I will now start using the dead bolt while on the road.

Good idea to always use the deadbolt. I use these at home as well. These are not CH 751 locks, so I don't think the link in post #1 will help. I would ask at Newmar, as I am not sure I would trust a locksmith who is not familiar with this lock to take it apart and reassemble it.

In fact I may see if Newmar can install extra long wire on these locks, so I can fold over the top and crimp them. This will prevent the wire from ever slipping out and preventing me from getting the door open. This has been reported. This would have been an easy preventative measure in the initial build, but of course, would increase the cost of the coach by several hundred dollars. with labor.

Last edited:
You mean RVs come with keys? Looked all over the trailer for a set and couldn't find one, that's funny.

Latest resources

Back