Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
I had a piece of weatherstripping fall off of the front of my coach. It’s belong somewhere in the area of the generator slide out. @TJ&LadyDi - Can you take a look at your MADP (probably with the generator slide out) and see where it goes. I’m thinking it goes where I’ve marked it with a yellow line on below picture.

I’ve looked online for this weatherstripping and could not find a source. Anyone know where I might locate it? The weatherstripping is fine except for the metal teeth that rusted out. I’ve cleaned all the metal out and I’m wondering if I can replace just the teeth? Suggestions welcome.

WeatherstripLocaton.png
Weatherstripping Full View.png
WeatherStripping.png
Weatherstripping Teeth.png

On mine, it goes on the front of the piece marked. See where I put the red line on a doctored version of your photo.

WeatherstripLocaton.png

TJ

Thanks. That makes more sense, but the curve in the weatherstripping didn't seem to match. Given that its dark now, I'll play around with it more tomorrow, not that it will stay on due to the rusted teeth.

I just sent an email to Newmar Parts with pictures. Hopefully they can identify the location and the part needed.

Thanks again.

I heard back from Newmar and they provide me with a part number of 71489 which is here. I was talking to the King Aire owner across the street from me and he had recently replaced his weatherstripping. Same issue - the metal teeth had rusted out. It seems that the way the bulb seal is installed, rain water runs directly into the portion where the metal teeth are and doesn't easily drain.

KingAireWeatherStripping.png

Last edited:
Looks like it might be a good practice to seal each end with some silicone caulk. I’m going to check the condition of mine and seal it up on each end if it is still in good condition. Otherwise, I will use the part # you provided (thanks) and, after installing the replacement, will seal the ends.

Thanks for following up on this.

TJ

Looks like it might be a good practice to seal each end with some silicone caulk. I’m going to check the condition of mine and seal it up on each end if it is still in good condition. Otherwise, I will use the part # you provided (thanks) and, after installing the replacement, will seal the ends.

Thanks for following up on this.

TJ
I always try to give water a place to run. I would suggest only the top for the sealer.

Now that I'm home from SW FL, I'm in the process of tackling the various maintenance items that were flagged over the past few months. I had contacted Newmar and they provided me with the necessary info to order some replacement weatherstripping, but I decided to go another route.

Since the teeth on the weatherstripping had rusted out and a replacement piece would undoubtedly do the same, I decided that I would remove the teeth, clean the weatherstripping and then reattached it with some black silicon caulk. I filled the channel of the weatherstripping with a good size bead and inserted in onto the lip. Once it had dried a bit and was secure, I added a beat on both the top and bottom lip to provide additional adhesiveness. It now appears to be solidly attached and I shouldn't have to worry about it again. Definitely not within 3 years which is when I would expect metal teeth to have rusted out again.

I bought some few years ago from McMaster.com. See if they sell some with the stainless teeth?

Latest resources

Back