Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Requirements for transporting a newly purchased RV from out of state back to my home state

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

We3rodgers

RVF Newbee
If a Class A motor coach is purchased in SC but will be driven back to my resident state (MN), is the Bill of Sale valid in lieu of tags will traveling back to the home state to get it registered?

If a Class A motor coach is purchased in SC but will be driven back to my resident state (MN), is the Bill of Sale valid in lieu of tags will traveling back to the home state to get it registered?
It depends on the state, but the bill of sale will probably not be sufficient. Most states will issue a temporary permit to cover you during transport and all states are supposed to honor it. Check with the South Carolina department of motor vehicles on how to get one. In some states, they are free (or close to it) and in others, they can cost $25-$50. Well worth the cost to avoid hassles. If the seller is a dealer, they can usually take care of getting you a permit if you request them to.

TJ

be sure you’re insurance is good to cover you as well.

When we purchased our MH the dealer supplied us with a temporary 21 day tag I think it cost $20, and we traveled back to NY! But just so you know, NY apparently received electronic notification when we added the MH to our auto insurance policy. 5 days later they started kicking the insurance back as no such vehicle, this continued until we paid NY the sales tax. Once paid the never bothered us again.

We purchased in Florida and asked that the plates be left on during travel and Fed Ex them back when the Arizona registration was completed.

Latest resources

Back