RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Sportscoach Encore
RV Length
40 Feet
If, like me, you are an electric vehicle enthusiast (I own a Tesla Model 3), and an RV Enthusiast, you have inevitably asked yourself and others two very pressing questions; 1) can I tow an EV behind my RV, and 2) could I charge an EV off my RV.

Well, there is some interesting news on this topic that recently came out, Rivian, a new company currently in production of their new electric Pickup the R1T, and their electric SUV the R1S, announced that both vehicles would be capable of being flat-towed behind an RV. This is the first electric vehicle with the ability to flat tow. The problem has been that there was no way to disengage the electric motors from the wheels in EVs, making flat towing a quick way to overheat and damage the motors (the cooling systems for the motors only work when the vehicle is active). There have been many discussions encouraging companies like Tesla to figure out how to modify the software or hardware in their vehicles to allow a scenario where the vehicle would have the motors engaged, and use the towing energy to recharge the batteries (this is a long complicated conversation that has already been covered in other threads, so I won't delve into that here).

For Rivian, their design included the ability to disengage each of the four motors as part of their power saving system, essentially allowing the vehicle to disengage one or more motors, as appropriate, to reduce power consumption. Rivian has confirmed in several responses to tweets that the vehicles will have a mode that disengages all four motors to allow safe flat-towing of the vehicle.

There has now been new discussions in the forums indicating that Rivian has also said that the R1T and R1S will be able to charge their batteries while being towed! No details yet on how that will work, how much load that would put on the towing vehicle, etc.

RivianR1T.png

The Rivian R1T has some impressive stats:

True All Wheel Drive, with 4 motors.
0-60 MPH acceleration of 3 seconds.
Cargo capacity of 1,800 lbs., with secure storage in the "frunk" and a "gear tunnel" between the cab and bed.
Towing capacity of 11,000 lbs., recently confirmed in a Death Valley torture test.
Air adjustable suspension for full off-road capabilities, including water crossing up to 3 feet deep.
4G full-time internet with WIFI capability (supports over the air updates), built-in wireless inductive charging, 6 USB ports, 3 12V outlets, 4 110V outlets and an immersive audio system.
Driver+ self-driving capability
Length: 218" (18' 2")
Height: 72" (6')
Width: 79" (6' 7") (with mirrors folded)
Weight: 5,886 lbs

And now - recharging while towing!

Oh, important - pricing starts at $67,500 (mine will be $95K with the options I selected)

The picture above is the Rivian I have ordered. Unfortunately, it won't be shipping until June of next year (mine won't ship until January of 2022 due to additional options I selected).

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this info, @cpeterso87. In addition to the flat-towing capabilities, what impressed me was the 0-to-60 time of 3 seconds! :oops: The 2020 Corvette has a 0-to-60 time of 2.8 seconds. The Rivian will be a very quick little pickup/SUV!

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi Indeed! Even quicker then my Tesla and that thing will take your breath away.

Cargo capacity of 1,800 lbs., with secure storage in the "frunk" and a "gear tunnel" between the cab and bed.
Towing capacity of 11,000 lbs., recently confirmed in a Death Valley torture test.
Air adjustable suspension for full off-road capabilities, including water crossing up to 3 feet deep.
4G full-time internet with WIFI capability (supports over the air updates), built-in wireless inductive charging, 6 USB ports, 3 12V outlets, 4 110V outlets and an immersive audio system.

All very impressive!

Very impressive but I spend all my disposable income on the coach ?

I just heard back from Rivian on this topic. The Rivian will have a charging mode that can be enabled while it is being towed which will use regenerative braking to charge the battery pack. I've used the results from an experiment a really ballsy Tesla owner performed to guesstimate what this could mean. The Tesla owner had his car towed (with him in it) to see how much power he could generate from regenerative braking while being towed. His results were 10 miles of charge for each 1 mile driven. This is not bad. So the Rivian, again this is all theoretical, could charge the entire battery pack in about 40 miles of towing. Of course lithium batteries don't recharge linearly, so this probably very optimistic, but still, it makes me smile ;)

Very nice and an impressive towing capacity. They didn't mention distance per charge?
What did you special order to bump it $30k?

I added the Adventure Pack - which included the slide-out camp kitchen in the gear tunnel, larger tires and wheels, and the larger 400 mile battery pack (stock battery pack has 300 mile range).

If, like me, you are an electric vehicle enthusiast (I own a Tesla Model 3), and an RV Enthusiast, you have inevitably asked yourself and others two very pressing questions; 1) can I tow an EV behind my RV, and 2) could I charge an EV off my RV.

Well, there is some interesting news on this topic that recently came out, Rivian, a new company currently in production of their new electric Pickup the R1T, and their electric SUV the R1S, announced that both vehicles would be capable of being flat-towed behind an RV. This is the first electric vehicle with the ability to flat tow. The problem has been that there was no way to disengage the electric motors from the wheels in EVs, making flat towing a quick way to overheat and damage the motors (the cooling systems for the motors only work when the vehicle is active). There have been many discussions encouraging companies like Tesla to figure out how to modify the software or hardware in their vehicles to allow a scenario where the vehicle would have the motors engaged, and use the towing energy to recharge the batteries (this is a long complicated conversation that has already been covered in other threads, so I won't delve into that here).

For Rivian, their design included the ability to disengage each of the four motors as part of their power saving system, essentially allowing the vehicle to disengage one or more motors, as appropriate, to reduce power consumption. Rivian has confirmed in several responses to tweets that the vehicles will have a mode that disengages all four motors to allow safe flat-towing of the vehicle.

There has now been new discussions in the forums indicating that Rivian has also said that the R1T and R1S will be able to charge their batteries while being towed! No details yet on how that will work, how much load that would put on the towing vehicle, etc.

View attachment 4272
The Rivian R1T has some impressive stats:

Oh, important - pricing starts at $67,500 (mine will be $95K with the options I selected)

The picture above is the Rivian I have ordered. Unfortunately, it won't be shipping until June of next year (mine won't ship until January of 2022 due to additional options I selected).
Being a Rivian enthusiast I'll bet you watched the motorcycle show "Long Way Up". If not, you should. It features two Rivian pickups accompanying the electric motorcycles from the bottom of South America to LA, California.
I've told my wife that my next pickup could very well be an electric. My current (Chevy Colorado) is our dingy so I'll need a towable unit as a replacement. Have you researched the availability of towing hookup connections?

Latest resources

Back