• Commercial/Vendors welcome
RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Has anybody run Hwys 395 out of Reno, NV to 44 to 89 in California? I am thinking about heading that way in a month or so. One Atlas I have says they are approved for semis, so I should be OK with my 38' trailer that is also about 13' 4" tall. I haven't found any low clearances, so I should be good. Just curious as to what the roads are like and any recommendations.
Tom

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
Once you leave 395 at Susanville, it is all 2-lane state highway (or was some years back) until you get to I-5 at Mount Shasta. It is a twisty mountain highway and will be fairly slow going, but I don't recall any potential overhead clearance issues. As you said, it is frequently used by semi trucks. It will be slow going, however. Be sure to fuel up in Susanville because there won't be a lot of fuel options until you get to I-5.

That said, it certainly is not the route I would choose "in a month or so." That is some pretty serious snow country and while they do run snowplows over it, it is not a high priority route and there's a pretty good chance of a snow delay. YMMV

TJ

Jim

RV Year
RV Make
Tiffin
RV Model
Phaeton QTH
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock
Havent run that particular stretch, but I lived in Lone Pine (off 395) and frequented Big Pine, Bishop and all the small towns along that strip of hwy. Also spent some time at Deep Springs (a liberal arts college) as my Grandmother and Grandfather both worked on the campus.

Loved it and miss it. Sure hope to get back that way again sometime.

Does any of this help you? Probably not, but I thought it was cool to hear someone mention an area of the USA that was close to where I used to live long ago.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
CanyonStar
RV Length
39' 11"
TOW/TOAD
Demco KarKaddy 460SS and VW Passat
Mountain Directory is a good online source for info on mountain roads and hazards as is the Facebook group Roads.

Sample of Mountain Directory. Each yellow triangle is a link to specific notes on that area.

1580828851317.png

Last edited:
RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
I'm not too concerned about the time to travel those roads, but I was more concerned about the weather related part. Maybe I should find someplace to spend another month before I think about that route? Wife has never been in Oregon or Washington, and I would like to get her there. Not like our schedule is tight....... The place where we summer in Minnesota doesn't even open until the 15th of May......

RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Well,,,,,,, I was told I may have changed my mind....... When I discussed the 'wait time' before we wouldn't have any snow along that route to be concerned about she decided we may wait until next fall for that part of the trip. Now I guess we want to explore southern Utah (which I have wanted to do for years!!).

RV Year
RV Make
Thor
RV Model
Hurricane
RV Length
32ft
TOW/TOAD
2018 Nissan Rogue
Well,,,,,,, I was told I may have changed my mind....... When I discussed the 'wait time' before we wouldn't have any snow along that route to be concerned about she decided we may wait until next fall for that part of the trip. Now I guess we want to explore southern Utah (which I have wanted to do for years!!).
I plan on going this year to southern Utah as well. It’s been many years ago when we went. Loved arches, needles, painted rock, and others.

RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
The last time I was in southern Utah was about 35 years ago in a semi. Gonna be like I have never been there before!! I really am looking forward to going!

RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Another question........ Anybody have a decent route besides I17, US85, & US160 to go from Casa Grande, AZ to the Four Corners area? I will be dragging a 38 foot fiver and don't know anything about a couple of two lane roads that head that general direction. Hills don't bother me much. I'm not gonna be headed that way for another month or so.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4369
RV Length
43’ 9”
TOW/TOAD
2016 Colorado
where four states come together: Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona

Four Corners Monument
597 NM-597, Teec Nos Pos, AZ 86514
(928) 206-2540

RV Year
RV Make
Thor
RV Model
Hurricane
RV Length
32ft
TOW/TOAD
2018 Nissan Rogue
Another question........ Anybody have a decent route besides I17, US85, & US160 to go from Casa Grande, AZ to the Four Corners area? I will be dragging a 38 foot fiver and don't know anything about a couple of two lane roads that head that general direction. Hills don't bother me much. I'm not gonna be headed that way for another month or so.
I don't know too much about the roads, but off of US160 there are several nice looking parks to go to.. Navajo National Monument, John Ford Point, and Monument Valley. I would assume it the parks are out there they may have some decent roads as well.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
I think you mean I-17 to US89 (not 85) and then to US160; correct? If so, that is the best route to the Monument Valley area (if that is where you are headed), IMO. There are really not many other choices and some of the alternate roads in that area are pretty narrow, rough and twisty. We made the trip you are considering a couple of years ago and found the I-17/US89/US160 route to be quite doable in our 2014 Ventana LE.

RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Yea, I meant US89, sorry..... I was looking at maybe US60 to Show Low and then AZ61, 180A, US180, I40 to US191 to US 160, but just not sure. AZ87 looks like a fun road, but not much choice after Payson. Maybe US89 to US160 would be my best bet.

RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Well.......... I wish my wife would make up my mind. She is now thinking about heading to the Northwest again.............

RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Here we go again.......... Yesterday she said "We should go back to Texas then to Utah"......... We are in Casa Grande, Az. I told her no, that won't happen. Guess we're going to the four corners area again.............
BTW, geography isn't one of her strong points.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2008 Jeep GC Overland
:LOL:

RV Year
RV Make