RV Length
20’
Chassis
Mercedes
Engine
Diesel V6
Fulltimer
No
Considering a 2021 Roadtrek SS Agile. Love the chassis, the interior look and features. We have seen information about electrical issues but nothing definitive. This info is making us wary. Can anyone help us determine whether this is in fact a serious issue with the 2021?

Just joined the forum and saw this post. We purchased a new SS Agile in February 2022. We love the chassis and the layout. But, we've had nothing but power system problems since we drove it off the lot. We've never been able to boondock for more than 1-2 days (usually we have to start the engine by mid-2nd day, if not earlier). We've had it in dealer service 4 times, almost a month each time due to their delays/process. They've discovered (they think) that the solar was wired improperly, that the AGM battery was drained so badly it was dead, and various other issues. But, bottom line, it still doesn't operate the way it was advertised. There are numerous posts on here from 2021-22 Roadtrek owners of other models (Zion/Chase) that have similar power setups and many people are having the same issues. The Firefly system (control screen/panel) doesn't seem to communicate effectively with the battery hardware, or things are wired incorrectly, or the battery warning light comes on too soon (and eventually shuts the power off). Roadtrek's service folks have been extremely responsive and helpful, but the dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix it and at this point we're considering our options to force the dealer to take it back or allow us to take it to a technician/mechanic who actually knows how to make it work.

We also purchased a 2021 Chassis SS-AGILE. We have used the 400 amp Lithium batteries in numerous environments. Our experience after a few modifications, soft start on AC, Victron to monitor usage and relay to autostart engine. AC in 80 degree weather low humidity, fridge, we lasted 3 hours, batteries at 17%. Fantastic fan, fridge, lights, TV, cpap, we lasted 30 hours, batteries down to 24%. Depending on what your usage is as microwave, cooktop will deplete batteries quickly, the Victron will monitor and give you a good idea of time remaining if leaving a pet in unit. The FIREFLY warning is at 50% should be updated to 20%. The unit really isn't geared to boondocking for days with only 400 amps of Lithium but with autostart it allows us to sleep through the night without having to get up to start engine or if away from the unit our pet is safe. Solar controller in bad location but should be simple read to determine if operating correctly. I use cellphone on record to view operation, it cycles readings.

Someplace @Neal Did a review on his results with his solar setup. I was glad he did!!!

for the better part of 10 years I have been telling people that anything less than 500 watts of solar was not practical.

I have 3000 watts of panels, and would like more.
I have an equivalent of 1200 ahr of batteries at 12v( most of my system is 24v).
I don't expect to run the AC after the sun sets,from that setup.

Anyone that offers you hope that you can is selling snake oils. Over selling a product will setup service departments with an incurable problem, and unhappy customers.

Solar panels on a class b are not really going to extend your boondocking while using AC, microwave, fridge, etc. I belive the Agile has 330 on the roof and unless your storing additional panels the expectations of 400 Lithium batteries we described in previous post that included solar operating correctly. Some manufacturers are increasing Lithium to 1200. Roadtrek now is 600. We purchased the Roadtrek SS-Agile because of floor plan, the ability to leave our pet unattended. We did upgrades, at a cost to ensure the safety of our pet which at the price point of these units one can agrue should be included but in full disclosure hasn't been needed. We have boondock for 4 days, when charging needed the engine runs for 1 hour charges batteries to 70% depending on what is being used and whether we turn on high idle for the second alternator. So many variables, but in reality works rather well. Future we will upgrade batteries, but overall compared to our previous 2 Winnebago motorhomes, Roadtrek has been excellent in responding to any concerns or questions. Always a live person immediately responds.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back