Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
What are you doing to keep rodents out of the coach? I am interested especially what you do for the sewer hose hole. I have read about bronze or steel wool as I would like to understand how to do that. What about the electric devices that emit high frequency sounds? I need to crawl up under the coach and make sure there are no openings that need to be “foamed” close.

Last edited:
Wow, I was actually just thinking of posting about this! ?

I've been fortunate, the only critter I've had on board so far was some albino frog that stowed away when in Naples or Ft. Myers. I use the ultrasonic devices throughout my coach and have since day one. I have one plugged into the block heater outlet (aft driver's side compartment), one in an outlet just forward of the pegboard bay, one in the master bathroom outlet, one in the outlet over the kitchen sink and one in the outlet left/aft of the driver's seat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DQG9C7/?tag=rvf01-20

pest-repeller.png
I don't do anything else other than keep the wet bay holes closed up. I 3D printed a wet bay cover plate that helps seal around the sani-con hose. I do carry pest control spray and do spray the basements and house a few times a year.

I use these same ultrasonic repellers at home near my security cameras...spiders love the IR lights and build webs right over the lenses. They‘ve eliminated about 90% of my camera cleaning...

I did buy some of this stuff earlier this year. I have yet to find the time to apply it. I do like @Neal solution better. plug and play.

Last edited:
We have long used coarse stainless steel wool to plug entry holes in both the RV and S&B house. It doesn't rust or corrode, and is very effective at keeping "critters" out. The stuff I have is about 4" wide and 1/2" thick. I carry a several 12-15" pieces in the coach and wrap it loosely around the power cord, water hose and sewer hose just below the floor where they exit the coach. Each piece is secured by a bunji loop/ball. The stuff is pretty sharp, so I use gloves when I handle it. The sharpness is what keeps rodents from chewing through it, or pulling it out.

It can be a little pricey, but so can rodent damage. I was fortunate to find a roll locally at a great price. A local hardware store had ordered a large roll of it for a customer that later decided they didn't want it. I bought it for pennies on the dollar and have had enough for the RV, house and plenty left over.

I think I will try the electronic repeller in the engine compartment to keep rats, squirrels, etc. away. Haven't had a problem yet, but don't want a "first time."

TJ

I was googling the topic earlier today and read on some old posts about a product called sewer sock?

I actually did not expect to find much in my search but TJ's steel wool solution is often cited as a effective deterrent along with a myriad of other interesting approaches. It seems like you just have to pick one you are most comfortable with and make sure it is effective through the coach.

In looking at the Sewer Sock, it mentions control of ants. For those with ant issues, try "diatomaceous earth," available at most hardware stores. It is a very fine powder that impedes the ant's ability to travel over it. Just sprinkle some at ground level around and on the hose/cord going into the coach. It is safe and easily wipes off when you are ready to move.

I carry a large shaker of DE in the coach and have found it very effective on ants and similar crawling critters. And, it is a great absorbent, so mixing in a bit of peppermint oil will create a rodent repellant as well. You can search online for a DE mouse repellant recipe for specifics.

TJ

I happened to be reading on another page and they suggest DE like TJ mentions above. What was also interesting are the other products like comet. i would have never thought of those.
You can dust to deter ants with any of these nontoxic alternatives: Safe Solutions Food-Grade DE, talcum powder, medicated body powder, baking soda, Splenda®, dried peppermint, cinnamon, salt, freshly ground pepper (cayenne), garlic powder, cream of tartar, bone meal, powdered charcoal, cedar oil, Tide®soap, calcium chloride Bon Ami® or Comet®

At storage, I put in tomcat rodent houses in every storage compartment, except the one exposed to air where chassis batteries are. (Tomcat 1 oz. Mouse Killers (4-Pack)-037161005 - The Home Depot) - I keep the deck plate cover screwed in when sewer hose not in use. When using coach, leave rodent houses in compartments, use a critter guard thing with sewer hose out, and put this stuff around coach when camping about once a week or after rain storm. AMDRO 24 oz. Ant Block Home Perimeter Ant Bait-100522802 - The Home Depot. We have never had ants in coach period using this stuff.

I did have a mouse incursion in the other MH. and after I started using the tomcat rodent motels, never again. I have heard putting a little peanut butter on the bait makes it more effective, have not tried it. I have been told, and some Consumer Reports have tested ultrasonic devices and they reported they did not work. I cannot speak from experience. I have not tried them. I know the dog barking thing we tried did not work, nor the bird repellent noise thing did not work. And the mouse noise thing I put in the barn did not keep them out of it. Good old traps or mouse hotels have worked for me.

Update, put in mouse traps and baited with Peanut butter, with dryer sheets still putting off stink. As far as I can tell, and check weekly, no new critters have gotten in. Traps are undisturbed. Go figure.

Latest resources

Back