Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
In the winter, we have a field mouse problem. They really like my truck and RV. It gets cold outside and they find the motor home, truck and the cab of my excavator to be just the place to hole up. If I'm in it every day, then no problem, but if I park it and leave it unattended for a week or so, I come back to the signs of mouse activity.

I've been back from my trip to Key West for 2 weeks and haven't been to the motor home for at least 10 days. Today I went down to pick up some things that didn't get hauled up when we got home from the trip. What I found was they had eaten holes in all of the new towels we bought before we left for Key West, They ate the toilet paper and they chewed into the boxes of Triscuit and energy bars.

Aside from setting traps, and checking them daily, what other solutions are available? A cat isn't an option as there is no way to get him in/out of the RV and even if I could, I don't want him sharpening his claws on the furniture. I know a lot of you store your RV's during the winter, and to some degree you must be experiencing the same problems.

What do you do?

We have been using RatX, both at home and at our site in Polson. It is not a "poison," per se, and isn't dangerous to dogs/cats. Rather, it is basically a salt with some additives that turns off a mouse's (or rat's) desire to drink water. A few days after eating it, they simply go to sleep due to dehydration.

One of our neighbors in Polson is a retired pharmacist (and, dog owner) and confirmed that he didn't see anything in the product composition that would endanger dogs or cats, either due to primary exposure (eating it) or secondary exposure (eating a critter that it took out).

After our recent adventure with a squirrel...I think...I have also set a Hava-heart cage trap under the back of the coach and am offering "free relocation' to any squirrels in the area. There's a great spot for squirrels about 4 miles up the road!

TJ

Mint oil, steel wool around all holes, I am using blinking Christmas led net lights, this works because mice fear predators and the precieved movement makes them uncomfortable so they stay away.
Propped up hoods to make inside temp the same as outside helps with equipment, but the suns UV destroy rubber.

As I keep my inverter on I use these ultrasonic pest repellers and so far so good for 3 years. I say that wondering what I'm going to find having not been to my coach in a month.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MFNGC3Z/?tag=rvf01-20
I'm using the same ones (3 in the coach, one in the engine compartment) and whatever critter that got into the AC unit (we're suspecting a squirrel) apparently wasn't phased by them. YMMV

TJ

We have been using RatX, both at home and at our site in Polson. It is not a "poison," per se, and isn't dangerous to dogs/cats.

TJ
I'll give it a try! Thanks @TJ&LadyDi

As I keep my inverter on I use these ultrasonic pest repellers and so far so good for 3 years. I say that wondering what I'm going to find having not been to my coach in a month.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MFNGC3Z/?tag=rvf01-20
I've had those things in my rentals, cars, and houses. The mice around here laugh when they see me coming with them. We've got some rough mice out here. Switchblade carrying rodents with tattoos, cig hanging out the side of their mouth, and looking for someone to slap around.

There are loads of discussions on this topic on the many RV forums. The only 100% effective solutions, if there are such are traps and a cat.

There are many things people do. Some have or appear to have success, others fail with the same approach.

I put peppermint essential oil on cotton, in tea balls and spread the throughout the motorhome, including every storage bay. I try to keep the scent strong enough to choke a little critter should he enter. That means adding more on a regular basis. Mine is in the driveway, so I go in it regularly, until it gets too cold to stand it. My wife has a keen sense of smell. She cannot enter the MH, when instorage, without it being uncomfortable. I also hang plastic bottles underneath and in the engine compartment with the oil on cotton, and some with mothballs. I tie plastic bottles ,with holes containing mothballs (all of them have holes drilled in them to let air through for distribution of the scent) to the tire covers. I use several long zip ties so that the wind will rattle them and make noise.

In addition I put Fresh Cab around inside and in the bays, along with Bounce dryer sheets. When the Fressh Cabb scent weakens I add back the oils manually. There are also TomCat boxes of poison around the property. Other poisons are added here, as well. They are also added to their hole in the ground. As you can see this is a shotgun approach. I add prayer to the list also - this should be at the top of the list).

The engine is started bi weekly to monthly, the generator monthly,until the temperatures get down in the 20's. So, it is not warm and inviting. In fact with all of the shades down and reflectix at some windows, thermal curtains etc. it is colder inside the MH than outside. It is difficult to maintain the scent once all of the oil freezes. I hope some of this helped.

Since you already have them getting in, you may try the stuff that you spray on the underside of the MH wit, so they slip off.

I also have window screen material over the intake ports on the engine. I have put brass wool on many of the holes in the floor (in cabinets) and in the ceiling where wires enter and then sealed these with rodent repellent foam.
Oh yea, I use the ultrasonic plugins also.
My enemies seem to be chipmunks. It is all out war.

We have been using RatX, both at home and at our site in Polson. It is not a "poison," per se, and isn't dangerous to dogs/cats. Rather, it is basically a salt with some additives that turns off a mouse's (or rat's) desire to drink water. A few days after eating it, they simply go to sleep due to dehydration.

One of our neighbors in Polson is a retired pharmacist (and, dog owner) and confirmed that he didn't see anything in the product composition that would endanger dogs or cats, either due to primary exposure (eating it) or secondary exposure (eating a critter that it took out).

After our recent adventure with a squirrel...I think...I have also set a Hava-heart cage trap under the back of the coach and am offering "free relocation' to any squirrels in the area. There's a great spot for squirrels about 4 miles up the road!

TJ
TJ, what is it with the RatX? They seem to chew it all to a powder in the Tomcat box and leave it there.

TJ, what is it with the RatX? They seem to chew it all to a powder in the Tomcat box and leave it there.
The fact that they are chewing it is a good sign; they are ingesting it. Within a few days, the mouse/rat will simply die of dehydration. That doesn't mean that at the first sign of it being chewed, all mice in the area will be gone. It takes a while to knock the population down; each one needs to ingest a quantity of the RatX.

TJ

There are loads of discussions on this topic on the many RV forums. The only 100% effective solutions, if there are such are traps and a cat.

There are many things people do. Some have or appear to have success, others fail with the same approach.

I put peppermint essential oil on cotton, in tea balls and spread the throughout the motorhome, including every storage bay. I try to keep the scent strong enough to choke a little critter should he enter. That means adding more on a regular basis. Mine is in the driveway, so I go in it regularly, until it gets too cold to stand it. My wife has a keen sense of smell. She cannot enter the MH, when instorage, without it being uncomfortable. I also hang plastic bottles underneath and in the engine compartment with the oil on cotton, and some with mothballs. I tie plastic bottles ,with holes containing mothballs (all of them have holes drilled in them to let air through for distribution of the scent) to the tire covers. I use several long zip ties so that the wind will rattle them and make noise.

In addition I put Fresh Cab around inside and in the bays, along with Bounce dryer sheets. When the Fressh Cabb scent weakens I add back the oils manually. There are also TomCat boxes of poison around the property. Other poisons are added here, as well. They are also added to their hole in the ground. As you can see this is a shotgun approach. I add prayer to the list also - this should be at the top of the list).

The engine is started bi weekly to monthly, the generator monthly,until the temperatures get down in the 20's. So, it is not warm and inviting. In fact with all of the shades down and reflectix at some windows, thermal curtains etc. it is colder inside the MH than outside. It is difficult to maintain the scent once all of the oil freezes. I hope some of this helped.

Since you already have them getting in, you may try the stuff that you spray on the underside of the MH wit, so they slip off.

I also have window screen material over the intake ports on the engine. I have put brass wool on many of the holes in the floor (in cabinets) and in the ceiling where wires enter and then sealed these with rodent repellent foam.
Oh yea, I use the ultrasonic plugins also.
My enemies seem to be chipmunks. It is all out war.
Wow!

Latest resources

Back