RV Make
Newmar Dutch Star
RV Model
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
1999 Chevy Venture Van
Fulltimer
Yes
In August of 2020, I purchased a well kept 1996 Newmar Dutch Star. I say well kept because it has only 35k miles and the 'decals' aren't all cracked. Everything was fully operational (once I replaced all 3 batteries, had set a awhile). Now, nearly a year later, the roof top A/C has quit blowing cold, it a Duo-Thermo by Dometic. I know it will probably be impossible, but I'd like to know of a replacement. Any suggestions?

I think the best thing may be have someone look at it. You may not need to replace. Have you looked at the coils, they could be dirty.

John is right. It could be something simple as bad capacitor or corroded electrical connection.
Have someone look at it before you spend the big bucks.

Are you sure the compressor is kicking in. Easy to tell, the voltage will drop a little
and you should hear a difference in the units noise. If the compressor isn't starting
up it's probably the starting capacitor. Also check the Run capacitor. Both must
be good to run the unit.

I have a 2006 HR Ambassador with very low miles as well. When my front A/C unit stopped blowing cold I made the decision to go ahead and replace BOTH units since they were the same age and I figured the second one would fail soo as well. Also the new A/C units require a digital thermostat so your analog thermostat won't work if you replace one unit but now the other. If I wasn't going to keep the coach long term I might have decided to spend some money to fix it. But they aren't that expensive so replacement was the best for us. Now I don't have to worry about it. ;)

BTW...........the roof top opening for A/C units is fairly standard. I think it's something like 12' x 12'. SO you don't have to find an A/C units to fit a 1994 Newmar. Get a new Dometic or Coleman unit. I even went with bigger units. My originals were 13,500 btu but the new ones are 15K btu. It gets so cold in there sometimes I have to turn the A/C up some!!

I think the best thing may be have someone look at it. You may not need to replace. Have you looked at the coils, they could be dirty.
Thanks...I've just 'looked it over' has oil collected in the 'drip pan base'...that isn't good is any a/c situation
Are you sure the compressor is kicking in. Easy to tell, the voltage will drop a little
and you should hear a difference in the units noise. If the compressor isn't starting
up it's probably the starting capacitor. Also check the Run capacitor. Both must
be good to run the unit.
I have since 'looked it over' and found that oil has collected in the 'drip pan base'. Not a good sign in ANY a/c situation, so I'm replacing unit.
I have now started searching for a suitable replacement unit, not many to pick from as this is 'an old RV' as I've been told. LOL As if I didn't know that.

be good to run the unit.
Compressor had been 'kicking in' I think it has now stopped doing so. I have 'looked at it' and found oil in the 'drip pan base', which is not a good sign.

Looks like you have Freon leak.

Latest resources

Back