Chassis
Ford F-53, 26,000GVWR
Engine
Ford V-10
TOW/TOAD
2017 Gmc Terrain & 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR-2
Fulltimer
No
I am making some travel plans to attend the Newmar International Rally in Lewisburg W. Va (July 16-24)

Prior to that is scheduled a Newmar Caravan which ends in Asheville NC July 13. (June 27-July 13)

This will leave 3 days travel time from Ft. Chiswell RV Park in Max Meadows Va; to Lewisburg W. Va.

My plotted route at this time is I-81 back to I-77 N, to U.S. Rt. 460, to U.S. Rt. 219 to Lewisburg. Plan to make it a 2 day trip.

Has anyone ever traveled U.S. Rt. 219 from Rich Creek W. Va. to Lewisburg W. Va.? If so, is the road ok to travel with a 38' coach towing a Terrain?

I could re-route I-77 to I-64, but a much greater driving distance, or could re-route I-81 to I-64, again at a much greater driving distance.

What might be your ADVICE or RECOMMENDATION!:unsure:

Thanks!!

Has anyone ever driven on U.S, Rt. 219?

If not, guess I better stay away from it!!

I am making some travel plans to attend the Newmar International Rally in Lewisburg W. Va (July 16-24)

Prior to that is scheduled a Newmar Caravan which ends in Asheville NC July 13. (June 27-July 13)

This will leave 3 days travel time from Ft. Chiswell RV Park in Max Meadows Va; to Lewisburg W. Va.

My plotted route at this time is I-81 back to I-77 N, to U.S. Rt. 460, to U.S. Rt. 219 to Lewisburg. Plan to make it a 2 day trip.

Has anyone ever traveled U.S. Rt. 219 from Rich Creek W. Va. to Lewisburg W. Va.? If so, is the road ok to travel with a 38' coach towing a Terrain?

I could re-route I-77 to I-64, but a much greater driving distance, or could re-route I-81 to I-64, again at a much greater driving distance.

What might be your ADVICE or RECOMMENDATION!:unsure:

Thanks!!
I am traveling to Lewisburg for rally - Leaving from Columbia, SC - I-77 north and overnight at KOA (Fancy Gap) -Then I-77 to I-81 to WV 100 (@ Newbern) and then US 219 (@ Rich Creek) to Lewisburg. Drive time is estimated at 1:57 from KOA -Fancy Gap to Lewisburg. I use the RV Trip Wizard app. Hope this helps you.

I am traveling to Lewisburg for rally - Leaving from Columbia, SC - I-77 north and overnight at KOA (Fancy Gap) -Then I-77 to I-81 to WV 100 (@ Newbern) and then US 219 (@ Rich Creek) to Lewisburg. Drive time is estimated at 1:57 from KOA -Fancy Gap to Lewisburg. I use the RV Trip Wizard app. Hope this helps you.

Bill,

I have been advised that Rt. 219 is a bit narrow, & very "tight" curves to be travelling with an RV and toad!

Thus, I have since decided to take the I-81 to I-64 route. It is a much better roadway, less curvy and more open. Plus I am familiar with the roads.
It will take about an hour longer for the drive, but personally, I will be more comfortable! And I basically have all day to go approximately 200 miles!

Thanks, and hope to see you at the Rally! Our first! We will be with the Virginia Wheels group!

Bill,

I have been advised that Rt. 219 is a bit narrow, & very "tight" curves to be travelling with an RV and toad!

Thus, I have since decided to take the I-81 to I-64 route. It is a much better roadway, less curvy and more open. Plus I am familiar with the roads.
It will take about an hour longer for the drive, but personally, I will be more comfortable! And I basically have all day to go approximately 200 miles!

Thanks, and hope to see you at the Rally! Our first! We will be with the Virginia Wheels group!
I really appreciate your email reply and information regarding Rt 219 - We are newbies to the RV world - Purchased our Mountain Aire last December. Based on your email I have adjusted my route to avoid Rt 219. This information has been valuable to me. Thanks and hope to see you at rally - Bill

According to the Mountain Directory I use, there should not be an issue, Rt460 - US 219, but that is personal preference. If you can manage 10' lanes and some turns, this should be a wonderful route.

US219.jpg

If you are traveling US 219 some interesting things to see

Traveling 219: The Seneca Trail

Joe,
Knowing you have traveled a lot, I'll ask you the question. Have you traveled US 219 from Lewisburg, going South?
I would actually be going North from Fort Chiswell RV Park, in Max Meadows up to Lewisburg for the Newmar International Rally!
I'd like to take that route, as I think it would be quite scenic, but someone else told me there are some pretty dangerous switchback type curves in the mountains.
Thanks for any info you can provide!

Joe,
Knowing you have traveled a lot, I'll ask you the question. Have you traveled US 219 from Lewisburg, going South?
I would actually be going North from Fort Chiswell RV Park, in Max Meadows up to Lewisburg for the Newmar International Rally!
I'd like to take that route, as I think it would be quite scenic, but someone else told me there are some pretty dangerous switchback type curves in the mountains.
Thanks for any info you can provide!
Going South from Lewisburg "should" not be an issue. The real 'fun' twisty parts are north of Lewisburg.
Last I drove that route it was very scenic, but that was pre-motorhome.
South of Union there are some switch backs but nothing noted in The Mountain Directory.

Now, I grew up in the Northeast, NY, VT, CT, driving roads like this daily, so my tolerance for narrow, twisty roads might be much higher than yours.
If you pay attention to signage, take your time and manage your speed, it should be a nice trip. This is a US route so it should be suitable for your vehicle.

However, you as the driver will miss most of the the wonderful views...:) focusing on the road ahead:-O

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back