RV Year
RV Make
Grand Design
RV Model
Solitude 375RES
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Hello! We are planning an RV Trip that will take us from Gatlinburg to Asheville in our 41 foot Fifth wheel. Our RV Trip Planner app is routing us on US 25 to I26 to I240 and then I40. Is US 25 a safe route for an RV to take? It looks very twisty - however I40 does not look much better - plus it has a tunnel warning on RV Trip Planner. Does anyone who has taken this route have advice? Much appreciated!

Solution
I40 is not a problem. It's windy in places, but nothing scary. The two eastbound tunnel clearances are over 14 feet and you'll find plenty of semi's and RV's along that route.
Here's a video of the drive (sped up of course) to give you some peace of mind.

Thanks so much for your help! Does the video show the part where you go thru the tunnel? I tried to watch the whole thing but got a little seasick! ?. Your help and kindness are much appreciated.
I40 is not a problem. It's windy in places, but nothing scary. The two eastbound tunnel clearances are over 14 feet and you'll find plenty of semi's and RV's along that route.

Thanks so much for your help! Does the video show the part where you go thru the tunnel? I tried to watch the whole thing but got a little seasick! ?. Your help and kindness are much appreciated.

Solution
No problem. Yes, the video shows the entire stretch. The first tunnel is around 2:45 in the video and the second tunnel is around 3:45

@solitude We just took the Gatlinburg to Ashville trip about a month ago in our 43' Class A. I chose to go I-40 to I-26. Sonic provided I-40 info so I'll add that I-26 has construction from the I-40 junction South all the way to 280. no issue on the road except for the traffic was stacked up pretty good.

I took that route in our RV. The next time coming back from Gatlinburg/Sevierville my wife requested we NOT take that route as she wasn't at all pleased with the twisties. So I took a bit longer way round. Past a lot of shopping as it happens. Take 321/The Parkway north. At Sevierville it becomes 66 but there's a ton of signs pointing to I-40. No actual turns anywhere, straight on to 40, get on it and then to Asheville.
The tunnels are a non-issue. But construction, rock falls, and accidents on I-40...you're on your own there. Subject to change at any time.

You CAN go south on 321 and it's a bit shorter. When I take the motorcycle or our Mustang I will absolutely go that way. The 38 foot RV, not so much. You can do it though. I recommend not taking that shortcut so far as cutting through the actual park, like on 32. I did that once, never again. I will drive as far around as need to not do that.

By the way, there's a pretty good flea market on weekends right about at I-40 from Sevierville if you like that sort of thing. Added incentive to take the long way round?

Latest resources

Back