• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Lina

RVF Newbee
Hi guys,
I'm a new member and I'm new to everything pertaining to RVing. I would really appreciate your suggestions on the best route from Portland ,OR to Frisco TX. I'll be travelling in the mid December and I'm thinking of driving through CA. The Idaho- Utah-Colorado- etc. route is faster but because of the snow and mountain areas is less safe. I'll be traveling by myself, towing the 24' travel trailer for the first time.

I'm going to let someone from that area respond as far as suggestions on a route. Personally, I would not travel in my RV unless I absolutely had to through some of those mountain passes in December.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi guys,
I'm a new member and I'm new to everything pertaining to RVing. I would really appreciate your suggestions on the best route from Portland ,OR to Frisco TX. I'll be travelling in the mid December and I'm thinking of driving through CA. The Idaho- Utah-Colorado- etc. route is faster but because of the snow and mountain areas is less safe. I'll be traveling by myself, towing the 24' travel trailer for the first time.
I agree with @FL-JOE But then depends on how long it has been after the last snow. Just recent post of camera site website was posted so you can see the state of the roads. we all know how a storm can miss an area and that can change what would be considered the safest route.

I think your plan going south route is a prudent one. This being your first trip pulling the trailer you don’t need the additional stress of weather, mountain passes thru the Rockies

Welcome to RVF, @Lina; glad to have you here with us.

I think @NWIP gave you good advice! We regularly travel both routes and, at this time of year, taking the southern route is certainly the only way I would go. You will still have to deal with the Siskyou Summit stretch near the Oregon-California border, so watch the weather and give yourself plenty of time.

There's a good chance of some snow in the Siskyous in December, so be sure you are carrying tire chains for the tow vehicle. Good luck and safe travels.

TJ

We just made a trip - from Portland to Houston, Tx area - we left September 28 - arrived Houston area October 11 ….we covered the route in 13 days with glorious weather (stayed an extra day in some places) and we still felt like we were pushing a bit.
I don’t recommend our route in December - We headed east toward Boise Idaho down to Salt Lake City and then we took the interstate to Laramie, Colorado Springs, and so on. it was already getting into the high 30s at night in Idaho in early October.
I think you’ll have to go down to California as far as Bakersfield, to Tuscon, El Paso, and pick up I-20 after El Paso and take it to your part of Texas. My advice is …..it’s a LONG drive. Don’t try to do more than 200 miles per day - and travel only from about 9 ot 10 am until 3 pm. Stick to interstates as much as possible. Call ahead each morning for an RV place to stay - we had no difficulty finding places in October. I used Google maps to roughly determine where to look and then I used campgroundreviews.com to find a best place to stay.
Praying safe and happy trip for you!
I think they're probably already home.

I need help getting from Kansas City to Fresno California in our class A RV. Any information is appreciated. Is there a good RV trip app?

Lots of good apps. Try the search button on the right side of the toolbar and that should help find posts on that topic.

I’d tell you to use two apps. RV Trip Wizard and the drive weather app. Both are subscription services. You want to go south as directly as you can and the easiest way is come across the desert on highway 58 from Barstow to Bakersfield and then take the 99 up to Fresno. If the weather holds you can go 40 but I’d be watching that weather daily and change course going down to the 20 or even the 10 to avoid bad weather. Whatever you do don’t go through LA If you end up way south. Also keep in mind the weather in the Central Valley around Fresno can be foggy for days on end so you have that to contend with too. Safe travels.

1639164823766.png

Latest resources

Back