RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place for this, but we are soon to be traveling west through Tx running I 20. I've heard rumors of bad road conditions (potholes) and was looking for some concrete (pun) information from those who have traveled that route recently. It doesn't look like there's much of a choice traveling west other than I 10. Anybody??

I 20 is 20x better than I 10.

2 weeks ago we left Texas for Florida. We took the I 20 to Louisiana and then cut down to the 10. In a jeep, the 10 was ok. In an rv, it's rough. Prefer to take the rv to Jackson before dropping down to limit time on the 10.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place for this, but we are soon to be traveling west through Tx running I 20. I've heard rumors of bad road conditions (potholes) and was looking for some concrete (pun) information from those who have traveled that route recently. It doesn't look like there's much of a choice traveling west other than I 10. Anybody??
I-20 in Texas is very good and I-10 is as well.

The issue is Louisiana they just don't maintain their roads as well. I-10 is much worse and I-20 is less worse.

If you decide on 20 and are coming thru DFW stay on I-20 it's the lesser of the evils. Timing is everything, 10:00AM to 3:00PM is the best time. We won't go thru DFW after 3:00, we will spend the night and go thru the next day. Sunday at 11:00 is the best.

It would be easier for us if we knew what your A to B was.

Here's what I have so far. Starting in Ft. Myers Fl to Boardman Oregon then back to Jacksonville. We're heading up to join with our 23 yr old son who's finished his first 4 years in the Coast Guard up in Ilwaco Wa. and starting his next station on the Cutter Heron out of Jacksonville. We'll be his motel for the trip back. Good to have him a little closer!
Screenshot (2).png

Hello from Texas !! No pot holes-in fact-we recently traveled from east state line to Dallas(~200 miles) and it's all concrete and no holes. I have not heard of any issues coming from the west, but, that doesn't mean there isn't. Depending on where you are heading it's I20 from Louisiana line to Pecos Tx; outside Pecos you'll hit I10 to El paso. it's about 636 miles. Lived here all 59 times around the sun, all over, if you need "stop, gas, food,etc' information be glad to help.

come to think of it you may have heard information on I-10, which runs along Louisiana coast to Houston; now it's pretty rough due to recent hurricanes and all but you won't coming that way.

DKDrifter is correct-stay on I20 thru DFW(Don't drift off to 80/635 around dallas-its a nightmare at times). After 3pm I20 can be pretty snarled around Arlington-we caught it many times and it's just a snails past when it's packed

I have driven many times from Tn to Salem Or and used I70 and I80. Both are fine. If you use I70 you will go through a toll area to get around Denver. Not bad. Taking I25 north can be crowded depending on rush hour, but we love going through Hwy 287. Beautiful views.

I70 or I80 route would be fine.

Attachments

• 8882D0B8-82F5-489B-AFB9-986B23867FD6.jpeg
    8882D0B8-82F5-489B-AFB9-986B23867FD6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Thank your son for his USCG service. “Coasties” are highly regarded up here in the Pacific Northwest. They are, literally, “life savers.”

TJ

Latest resources

Back