Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV App Market Research: What features/capabilities do you want?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MapNerd

RVF 1K Club
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
What are the killer features or capabilities you would want in your one stop RV app?

I use RVTripWizard...am happy with its features and capabilities. What additional features am I missing?

use RVTripWizard...am happy with its features and capabilities. What additional features am I missing?
I too lean heavily on RVTW for planning. They released a product 1-2 years ago called RV life which includes RV GPS Routing. I like the integration aspects of this which also includes campground reviews. Having one app accessible to the iPhone is way better than having to plan on RVTW and then re-enter on the Garmin. I think the killer feature is advance warning and being able to know what’s ahead with options so you can evaluate is what I look for. I don’t want to know 5 sec before. My issue with rv life is I just don’t know enough about it “under the covers“ to trust it. Inevitably if I had both (Garmin and RV Life) running at the same time and they gave different directions, which one do I choose? The leader in GPS used in airplanes and on boats or a third party app? Once you have been in a near crisis situation, it’s all about trust and dependability going forward. I don’t trust my Garmin 100% either and visually verify everything which takes a lot of time In addition to the data reentry each day From RVTW to Garmin.

I use RVTripWizard...am happy with its features and capabilities. What additional features am I missing?
That’s for you to tell me! Use your imagination. RVTW would definitely be my competition.

Inevitably if I had both (Garmin and RV Life) running at the same time and they gave different directions, which one do I choose? The leader in GPS used in airplanes and on boats or a third party app?
To be clear, I would be using the same data under the hood as Garmin, except my update integration would be faster and automatic with updates happening automagically every few weeks as opposed to months. No data downloads or update installs. You wouldn’t even need to update the app.

For network barriers, such as bridges, overpasses and other things that impact vehicle routing constraints, the updates would be near instantaneous after being reported within the app.

All the obvious navigation things as well as vehicle specifications for over and under bridges. An additional game changer to put you above the others might be to have a weather conditions along the route option. Have the option of modifying the date and time to see timing's impact? Just dreaming

additional edit: I use basecamp to plan all my routes, then dump them into the Garmin. A computer app to do the same instead of trying to do all that on the tiny screen of a crapple phone?

All the obvious navigation things as well as vehicle specifications for over and under bridges. An additional game changer to put you above the others might be to have a weather conditions along the route option. Have the option of modifying the date and time to see timing's impact? Just dreaming

additional edit: I use basecamp to plan all my routes, then dump them into the Garmin. A computer app to do the same instead of trying to do all that on the tiny screen of a crapple phone?
Weather is a good idea and can be done. I’ve done that on other apps before.

as to a desktop app, one is planned for the use case you describe, but only premium users would have access to it. Perhaps some limited features for standard users.

@MapNerd , my main complaint with RVTW is the incomplete display of campgrounds. Maybe I'm missing a setting/parameter...even when I know there is a campground near my desired destination, sometimes it doesn't show up unless I manually enter it by name. Regarding GPS, I start with RVTW, then double check other sources during the planning phase. Once on the road, I use the coach RMcN and double check (if I remember) with RVTW, Google + others.

@MapNerd , my main complaint with RVTW is the incomplete display of campgrounds. Maybe I'm missing a setting/parameter...even when I know there is a campground near my desired destination, sometimes it doesn't show up unless I manually enter it by name. Regarding GPS, I start with RVTW, then double check other sources during the planning phase. Once on the road, I use the coach RMcN and double check (if I remember) with RVTW, Google + others.
Finding all of the campgrounds is almost certainly the hardest part. There is no single source of truth other than Google and they will sue my face off if I scrape their data. I could use their API but it’s expensive. I have about 600 campgrounds loaded across the US, Canada and Mexico so far but I know there are many others I don’t know of. I am thinking that if there is a campground you know of which the app doesn’t, I will have a way for you to add it. Initially, only the person who reported the campground will see it but once I have verified it, it will be displayed to everyone. You’ll have to have some basic information about the campground in order to report it though. A name, Address or coordinates, and website or phone number. Other attributes will be available but those are the bare minimum.

Where does RV Parky get their data? Integration with a DB like that would seem good to me. Weather not not so important. Waze yes. A flexible import feature for trip planning would be key (I use excel).

Now for the more far fetched thoughts:
- Could an integration with vehicle data be of value? Take the bluefire data for example and show user selectable real time data, or better yet summarize the data in a way with the GPS data to do something interesting?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V1QBNFI/?tag=rvf01-20

- Would a find friends feature be crazy? You can automate updates to friends and family with your location or a daily trip summary.

- Integration with a dash camera to provide a trip summary including photos?

Ok, I'm getting out there now, but I think unique integrations could make something stand apart. We are a community of hobbyists and DIY'rs and it might have appeal.

Latest resources

Back