Thor Motor Coach
RV Model
Four Winds 30D
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Trail Hawk
Fulltimer
No
Question for all you old timers here. I was in the process of making a reservation for stay at a campground for a weekend in July, plenty of notice 6 weeks in advance to be exact. While talking to the person about what I wanted, we agreed upon a site that I would be comfortable with. I was about to make the reservation when she started to explain some of the campground rules. One of them being that even though I paid for a particular site, that the host of the campground could move me at their discretion. Too me that doesn't make much sense because I am paying for everything and I am doing it 6 weeks in advance so obviously I am serious about coming to their campground. Has this ever happened to anybody? Has anybody ever paid for a site on a campground and when they got there, they were moved to another site? Or how about getting all set up and being asked to move to another site? I am a newbie here so I am wondering if this is common or not. Thanks for your answers.

John

2018 Thor Motor Coach Four Winds 30D
2020 Jeep Trailhawk (Toad)

Certainly not common in my experience. I would want to know how often it occurs there and why.

I travel using Thousand Trails a lot and you get no site assignment in advance - you find your own for the most part. Also I travel using Passport America and you don't get an assignment with them either, at least the places I have stayed.

If a specific site was negotiated and agreed upon up front, I would expect to get that site when I arrived. Many parks do the site assignment as they see fit, but when you make the effort to get a specific site and the park agrees when the reservation is made, I consider it a done deal.

TJ

I’d ask about why they might move me. Maybe it’s because they might have occasional utility or sewer issues, and might need to move you. Maybe because the host’s bro-in-law might bring his clan and want your spot. Maybe because they might up the prices due to demand.
I would ask them why they have that rule. It might be easily explained, or you might get “it’s our policy” ?

I was about to make the reservation when she started to explain some of the campground rules. One of them being that even though I paid for a particular site, that the host of the campground could move me at their discretion.

John

2018 Thor Motor Coach Four Winds 30D
2020 Jeep Trailhawk (Toad)
Hi John. To be honest, I'll bet money that clause is in the agreement just in case (and for whatever reason) two people show up at the same site at the same time. Being able to move you around at their discretion gives them a legal out. That being said, I'll bet it doesn't happen much.

In about 90% of the campgrounds we have stayed in there is no site assignment until you actually arrive. The exception is generally when you are staying a month or longer, or at least that has been our experience.

As far as them reserving the right to change your site selection at the last minute, I think that is just good business practice on their part. What are they suppose to do if on the day you are arriving the person in your future site has an issue with their RV, like it won't start, or one of them is deathly ill? Other issues could come up and make that site simply unavailable, a utility issue could have it temporarily closed, or some other type of grounds issue may deem it unavailable.

In my instance an assigned site can be critical to my stay as I need room for the Wheel chair ramp. This is explained up front and typically agreed to by the front desk reservation person. Also I call the campground directly and typically do not use online reservations.
State parks can be tricky as they push to online reservation systems.

Any issues have been resolved satisfactorily as I have been moved on occasion.

Sounds like a cover their butt kind of thing in case of booking foulups. I can see that I guess. I wouldn't be very happy about it if I had to move, I'm sure. I would be happy to make exception for someone who actually needed my spot for wheelchair access or something reasonable like that though.

Almost all of my sites have been designated. Yesterday, I booked a week in Spokane and in the process of booking online and paying, it was asked if I wanted to pay $10.00 extra to guarantee my site. Never had this happen before. Kind of like getting seats in an airplane.

Latest resources

Back