Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rebeccalladner

RVF Newbee
The motor home we are looking to purchase car fax report lists a total loss from 2013. The rig has 34k miles on it and is immaculate. We combed over it and cannot see any physical damage to it. Any ideas what else would be a total loss of no signs of physical damage are seen. We haven’t purchased yet & are meeting with buyer to bring it to campground to do further testing.

I'm guessing it was underwater at some point and the insurance paid it off as a total loss. The sellers would certainly have to explain all of that before I would buy it. If it was flooded run from the deal as fast as you can!!!!!!

I agree. If the previous owner doesn't know or will not tell you what happened I would run too. If it was water damage I would run even faster.

The insurance report has to specify by federal law. Reminds me of over two decades ago I wanted a used small pickup 4WD. Went to a Carmax and looked at several varying manufacturers. I noticed all the Rangers had the exact staining in the floorboards and sandy silt underneath the seat rails. I asked the young sales man where they buy their trucks and he stated they have a buyer for that. I said, yes, but where do you get them? He evaded my question indirectly over and over and finally I said look son, these are obviously flood vehicles as they all have the same clues to being just that. He didn’t know what to say back so I kindly turned and walked away.

My point, don’t be afraid to be demanding of why was it designated a total. If they evade the question with trying to run down other rabbit trails, kindly say, you all have a great day and then walk to your vehicle and drive into the sunset.

Regardless of the reason, keep shopping and stay away from it. It will likely be more problematic than a well cared for rig and it will be very hard for you to sell when the time comes

Water damage can be very very extensive, & not show for long periods (corrosion of wiring, etc)

Regardless of any physical damage, the title indicates the RV was once Totaled. Essentially you have a Salvage title. This brings a series of issues, from registering in some states to insurance values, to steep discounts on resale.
as others have said, it is best to keep looking.

Vehicles are totaled for many reasons. Some times they are totaled because the owner states he will refuse any repair after an accident. That said some vary unworthy people will use a salvage title to hide the fact that a rig is stolen. If the owner is not totally forthcoming I would leave and call to report it to the authorities.

Thanks I did NOT get that motor home. Upon more inspection someone had stolen the catalytic converter, bad spot on floor and SEVERAL other issues. Thanks everyone for insights I greatly appreciated the help!

Latest resources

Back