Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Wgb

RVF Regular
Bought a new trailer thinking about changing to a rv macerator toilet has anyone have any experience with this?

I had a conventional rv toilet swapped out with a macerating toilet in my previous coach. They take some of the issues out of black tank troubles, but require a lot of power to operate. Mine required a 30amp 12v circuit, wound up running a fused 10 gauge romex line directly from the house batteries.

I had a conventional rv toilet swapped out with a macerating toilet in my previous coach. They take some of the issues out of black tank troubles, but require a lot of power to operate. Mine required a 30amp 12v circuit, wound up running a fused 10 gauge romex line directly from the house batteries.
Did you install it yourself or did you have a shop install it.

It was a Coachmen warranty issue due to a defective install of the original toilet, so Coachmen paid nearly 2k for the toilet, and paid Camping World in San Marcos CA to do the install. Against my better judgement, they did a really good job.

Thanks, for answering. I just bought a new RV not new to trailers and have used the macerator toilet on a sail boat. I hate the black tank and it just seems it would solve a lot and be easier to keep clean.

My current coach has 2 macerating toilets and I wouldn't by choice go back to a conventional. With that said, they are not the end all for black tank issues, I still have constant tank sensor issues, and have to treat and flush on a regular basis or I will get the dreaded orange and then red lights on the electronic flush even though the actual tank is empty.

I think the trouble is that most black water tanks have submerged senders to measure tank levels. Over time, they will always gum up and report false readings. I have two macerator toilets on my power boat and have found that SCAD Tecnologies, which uses an external sender gives reliable black tank levels and they are immune from getting clogged. Almost two years and both gauges are still reporting the same reasonably accurate tank levels. Try this: TM™ Tank Monitors | Technologies LLC Good luck! Jim

Update - I had tried all of the various Dawn and Calgon options ( I know I know, try adding a bag of ice, but no way to add without going through the macerating toilets. If anyone wants to try that, post your results and some video! BTW, same reason a flush wand down the toilet wont work.) to clean out the black tanks with no definitive positive result. I am nearly finished with my first bottle of liquid Unique Digest It treatment (was a dedicated Happy Camper user previously) and have now dumped 4 times in a row with sensors immediately reacting, and no false sensor readings in between dumps. I dont know what the difference in formula may be, but its working for me. Your mileage with all or none of the above may vary!!😀

Macerator toilets are great and convenient............until someone puts something in the toilet that they haven't eaten first. Personally, I prefer to deal with black tank issues.

Bob

Latest resources

Back