Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mallen

RVF Newbee
Hello all, new to RV life. Sold our house and living in our 5th wheel for the summer. We bought used. Been trying to get rid of the musty smell. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance and look forward to chatting

Depends on what is causing the musty smell. Get a moisture meter and check for water damage (unusually high moisture in the walls, ceiling or floors. Can you localize the source of the smell?

Depends on what is causing the musty smell. Get a moisture meter and check for water damage (unusually high moisture in the walls, ceiling or floors. Can you localize the source of the smell?
No, the RV has sat for a few years, I have washed all the walls and carpet. Also have the damp rids but I still feel like I can smell musty smells

Bring someone else into the RV that has never been in it and you’ve never told about the smell. Don’t tell them anything about the smell. Give me a little tour. Then ask them afterwards, did you smell anything musty?

If so, then you know it’s not just your brain playing tricks on you, which can happen. Next is to find the source. You might need help. Younger people have better noses, so maybe ask for help. Musty smells generally don’t occur naturally just from age, there’s something somewhere that is festering and you need to find it.

What part of the country do you live in? What I'm getting at is the RV been stored in high humidity or a high rainfall area? Try to determine if other stored RVs experience this same issue in your general area, maybe talk to some RV dealerships or folks at RV storage lots.

If you find it isn't normal for your RV to small this way for the area you are in then a careful examination should be started. Inspect the roof, is all the dicor sealant in good shape? Inspect around all your openings inside and out, any evidence of water intrusion?

Usually from the moisture. I would look to the usual weak areas for signs of water ingress however heavy or slight to get an idea.

The one thing I know that gets rid of musty smell unless you still have wet wood is an ozone generator run it for an hour or two and most of the time vola!! This will only work if no dampness is left.

The one thing I know that gets rid of musty smell unless you still have wet wood is an ozone generator run it for an hour or two and most of the time vola!! This will only work if no dampness is left.
We use an ozone generator in a separate building on our property. Works like a charm.

Here is what we use for a single room and a bathroom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795P2674/?tag=rvf01-20

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back