Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV Newbie trying to get internet (Satellite, etc)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

OldBlue

RVF Regular
My family and I are renting a RV this summer and heading to Yellowstone for about 10 days. The campground website specifically states that cell service and wifi is non-existent with the nearest internet service a 30 minute drive away. While I understand the point in unplugging, based on past experiences, either my wife or I will have to respond to at least 1 email over a 10 day period. I've looked at Iridium, but it appears to only work with their apps, so not a lot of options. Are there other options out there that others are using?

Welcome to RVF, @OldBlue; hope your upcoming trip goes well. Yellowstone is a fascinating place, at least for us.

There is some cell coverage in certain parts of the park. Our experience has been that Verizon has the best coverage in that area, but we haven't been there for a couple of years.

If you have a "smart phone," you should be able to find some coverage spots and download e-mail periodically.

Others on the forum may have been to Yellowstone more recently and may have more updated information.

TJ

Thanks! Yeah, I figured some parts of the park would have limited service depending on carrier. We're staying at the Headwaters Campground and the description is very clear regarding coverage. I was just looking for an alternative if there is one available.

If you have Dish or Direct, I think you’d be wise to check with them. I remember them hounding me about their new sat internet service.

I think you may gag at any of the SAT internet option’s pricing; especially considering the lack of speed.

That said, I’d be hitting ol’ Google to search for some of the latest reviews to be sure I’m up on the current offerings.

Mobile Internet Resource Center provides a lot of information on what is currently available along with advantages & drawbacks of each.
I've camped at a variety of state parks where there was no cell service & no wifi. If I needed internet service, I would go to the library in town, about 30 minutes away which had free wifi. If you don't have a towed vehicle (TOAD), driving to find a signal can be problematic.
Good luck & safe travels!

We bought a cell booster ($400) and it worked wonders for us. Got it at Best Buy. Then I have a mobile hotspot in order to work from home.

Starlink has just begun accepting people with addresses all over the US. Delivery of your dish may be mid-late 2021 and there's no discussion of whether it will still be geo-locked to a single location. But, if you spend the winter in one place, it could be an option for you. The cost to sign up is an initial payment of $100.

Rent the Immersat iSatphone Pro2 for $62/week. Voice Text and email.

My wife and camped in the AZ mountains last year for five days and I knew this location had no service going in. I thought it would be good to unplug for a while. Well, we were miserable – I realized I’m hopelessly addicted to connectivity now. Sad but true. I really hope you find something that works for you during that time and that you let us know how it went.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back