• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dwight_IA

RVF Newbee
Hi,

Looking for information and ideas.
I am involved with an event that is going to have over night RV parking and camping. The planning group is wondering about how to handle and park RVs.
Is a parking spot 40 x 18 big enough to handle most RVs?
To make it easier to get in and out I was thinking about parking the RVs at an angle. Does that work pretty good?
How wide of a traffic aisle is needed to turn in and turn out of the parking area?
Are there any events that had great parking I could contact?

Thanks for your help.

Smart idea. Why more events (especially air shows) don't offer RV parking is beyond me, but: The most important component of organizing is the initial set up. If you are parking on grass use a lime machine (borrow one from the local little leaguers ?) and mark the spaces. 40X18 can handle the majority of RVs although most would agree bigger is better. Whatever you decide, make it easy to visualize. Then, the second most important thing is to park them in order. As they arrive, they take the next site (not one down the lane). As many here would attest, tail swing is a real thing , thus your exit fairways need to account for this. Your idea of making the sites angled is good and would decrease the width of your exit aisles. Draw it out on a piece of paper and you'll have a good idea of how it'll work out. Great idea, and good luck! (BTW: what event are you in charge of ?)

Thanks for your response. I am on the RAGBRAI camping committee that includes RV and tent camping. There are 10,000 bicycle riders that cross the State of Iowa during the week with most of them tent camping.

I was concerned abut the tail swing and was wondering if the in and out aisles need to be as wide as the RV space is long.

Maybe others will chime in here...but IMHO a 20 x 45' parking spot is sufficient with fairway width at least 30' ...that should accommodate most coaches. I would reserve some spots for those towing (either TOADS or Trailers) in 70' long spaces. Only you know how many of those you expect. Anybody give you an idea on what to expect (from previous years)?

Latest resources

Back