Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

scottbeaupre

RVF Newbee
Hey, hope all are healthy? My wife and I are downsizing from a house to an apartment. We have secured a spot at a self storage place for parking our Fifth wheel but its not ideal. What do others do for parking your trailers when not using and live in an apartment complex? What are some options you know about that are better than a self storage place?

When I had to sell my house and downsize I bought a 5th wheel. I called it optimistic downsizing. I couldn't imagine going from a farm to such a small space but the ability to pick a new front yard as often as I want was a great trade up.

I think most people do exactly what you’ve already done. There aren’t many options in that situation and I was the exact same one a year and a half ago. We leased a spot at a boat and RV storage facility that was 15 minutes away from the apartment.

I think you are doing what you have to when living in a complex. If you storage place is not ideal then look around and find a better one. There should be plenty of them out there around you.

Be sure you research physical security for your RV. King pin locks, how difficult they are to pick or defeat, Denver wheel boots, “LoJack” security stickers near the king pin, etc. Make if difficult for someone to steal your 5er.

Keep calling around for places, especially places that are full - then ask if they have recommendations. Using this approach in the past I learned of a couple places that I never would have found on my own.

Latest resources

Back