Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GaryWWilson

RVF Regular
I just purchased a Stromberg 4000 series rv tailgate for my 2011 F250. There is a camera in the factory tailgate. Any suggestions how it can still be used? Also my 5th wheel tires tread is good. When should they be replaced for age? Thanks

Don't know about transferring the camera, someone might know how. Tires have a dot code that tells you their date. Most look at 5 to 7 years. Some are adamant about replacing them, some not so much. I would make sure I had a TPMS in place and watch them closely on the road, at maximum rated pressure, found on the tire not the 5th. Watch them for cracks if you chose to use them. I pulled my TT from Maine to Tenn at high speed with original Goodyears from 2011. They look great and I have only made short trips around my home area. If I go for the long haul I will have spares in the bed of my truck. If I had $$$ in my motorhome and $$$ to buy tires that have not rotated, I might think different. This same topic is had across any forum that has tires in it with many choosing not to get involved after getting scorched by the "you'll die in a ball of flames" crowd. Much like "what oil to use" threads.

Can't really add much. Years ago when we started in our first fiver I installed a V tailgate. I really didn't like it on my F350 and thought it actually made hooking up harder when reaching in for the umbilical cord and breakaway attachment. Plus like you mentioned I lost the use of my tailgate backup camera.

How often tires should be replaced can be a tricky question. If they don't stay covered while camped all the time and are getting around 5 years old it is certainly time to give them a really close inspection. Look for tiny cracks or other signs of them "drying" out. I have always been really picky with my RV tires and won't run them after a certain age. I also have always used a TST TPMS. So far the result (knocking on wood) has been 11 years of full time traveling without a flat tire on 5 different RVs.

You'll never use up the tire tread on trailer tires unless you are pulling your trailer coast to coast all summer long. Trailer tires have a very hard sidewall which leaves them vulnerable to "drying" and cracking as FL-Joe mentioned especially if sitting in the sun constantly. I've had a blowout on the interstate, it's not fun! I now always replace my trailer tires after 4 years period.

Latest resources

Back