Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

goldenace

RVF Regular
I am in an RV park and one of the other residents is buying a new RV and has offered to give me the one they are currently in. Since this isn't a "purchase", what if any taxes will I be responsible for? They are simply signing the title over to me.
Thanks!

It depends. Some states tax based on blue book value. Others on the value stated on a bill of sale. Check with the state you will title it in.

Also ask your DMV about any other forms you need to have. In Iowa, starting this year, we now have to have a "bill of sale" signed by both the buyer and seller. (Yes, along with the signed title.)
Apparently, there was some issue with folks titling vehicles in someone else's name, without that someone knowing about it. (Or so the folks at the local DMV office claimed.)

Roger

Colorado. Have owner sign an agreement stating they have gifted it to you and take it with signed title to the courthouse.

You guys have to pay sales tax on private party sales in the US? We don't in Canada.

You guys have to pay sales tax on private party sales in the US? We don't in Canada.
Well, in Iowa we do, on vehicles. When we go to the courthouse to swap over the title/registration, we're taxed at 5%(?) of the sale price. BUT.....if they think it's too low, (because "we" might be trying to dodge the {unjust} taxes), they'll refer to an NADA value.
Other states may have different laws.

Roger

Do not allow it to be given to you. Create a bill of sale for $1.00.
While this might be attractive on the surface, it could get sticky, too. In Iowa, if the folks at the DMV think the sale price is too low, they'll refer to an NADA value, and tax the buyer accordingly. Won't matter if you bought a builder for restore, or it was a true gift. They WANT "thier" tax money!

Just sayin'.....Roger

While this might be attractive on the surface, it could get sticky, too. In Iowa, if the folks at the DMV think the sale price is too low, they'll refer to an NADA value, and tax the buyer accordingly. Won't matter if you bought a builder for restore, or it was a true gift. They WANT "thier" tax money!

Just sayin'.....Roger
I know that things change, but in the past I have done this in Florida, Georgia, Maine, even California. Unless they can prove that you have made a fake bill of sale, they can’t do a damn thing about the purchase price.

Thanks for all the responses. After speaking with the DMV (Idaho), I just need the current owner to sign a document that he is "gifting" me the 5th wheel and I won't be responsible for any sales tax. The RV is currently registered in Oregon, so we'll need to take it to the DMV for a VIN inspection. Once that's done, he signs the title over to me, I register it in Idaho, pay the registration fees and that should finalize it.

Latest resources

Back