Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV water pressure regulators: Fixed flow rate or adjustable?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've been using adjustable water pressure regulators since I started RVing in 2017. I've been through probably a half dozen as they seem to not be "adjustable" and are poor quality. For example today I know the spigot is high pressure but the regulator is showing 20 psi. I have a water pressure tester to put on the spigot but didn't use it, that would require walking all the way around to the pegboard bay :)

I went to Amazon to put a new Valterra adjustable regulator in my cart and stumbled upon the fixed flow rate version. I've known of these but thought they were fixed at around 40 psi. Now I see there are multiple versions such as one for 50-55 psi and ones for lower psi ratings. As my KOA is right next to a camping world I figured I'd stop in there and take a look at what they had. They had the two items in my Amazon cart so I figured I'd pick up the fixed flow rate one that's 50-55 psi as that's the pressure I like to run.

adjustable.png

fixed-flow.png

Also of note is I put my water pressure regulator behind the water reel. I believe there is pressure lost from the spigot to the RV so setting something like 50 psi at the spigot is not going to be 50 psi inside the coach.

So far I am pleased with the fixed rate water pressure regulator. The results within the coach are as expected.

Valterra adjustable regulator:

Valterra fixed flow 50-55 psi:

Valterra fixed flow 40-50 psi:

Answer is yes?:) I use fixed for short stays and the expensive one on long stays.

The adjustable Valterra looks like the one we have. No complaints with it so far. Have to get my wife to turn on a tap in the trailer then adjust to get a flowing pressure of 50 psi as the static pressure from the tap is fixed. I put mine right off the tap so it protects all my stuff.

The cheap rv units are ok for occasional use. I have always permanently installed a watts regulator right after the hose reel.

This is a picture of my regulator with a flushable sediment filter in front of it.

I keep this regulator set to 40psi, as I prefer to run off my tank and utilize auto fill functions.
20220428_180253.jpg
20220428_180246.jpg

Last edited:
Do we know what the RV lines are typically rated for? Should this be in a manual somewhere?

60 psi is ideal and what I used to set to until I purchased an rv with Autofill tanks. With Autofill, you use your fresh tank and have consistent pressure all the time.

Since the water pump will only engage when pressure drops below a certain point, I have set my pressure gauge to a very low setting forcing the water pump to be the primary source.

If I didn't want the water pump to be the primary source I would keep mine set to 60psi.

until I purchased an rv with Autofill tanks. With Autofill, you use your fresh tank and have consistent pressure all the time.
When I had my DS, I always used my water pump too until the last year or so. Thanks for reminding me. I've been using city water on the LA, but after I read your post I turned on my water pump and turned the autofill on. I'm thinking they need some exercise. 😂

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back