Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Sani-Con and Amazon to the rescue!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
As I mentioned in another thread, I recently sanitized my fresh water tank in preparation for heading out. I use a 2-part Thetford sanitizer, so there's lots of flushing required. After flushing the system 4-5 times (yeah, I'm a little cautious about my water tank cleanliness), I discovered the dreaded "yellow light" on the macerator toilet controls. Looks like I ran about about 15+ gallons through each toilet. And, my gray tank was about 3/4 full too. All this and we're still in the driveway! Not a good way to start a trip.

We are on a septic system and I know there are some concerns about over-filling septic tanks. Still, I have considered finding a way to dump the holding tanks at the sticks-and-bricksI. I thought about it a bit and realized that LadyDi has a walk-in "spa/tub" in her bathroom that holds about 60 gallons. It dumps fine and we have not had any issues as a result.

With a 45-gallon black tank (3/4+ full) and a 65-gallon grey tank (also 3/4 full) we're looking at about 75 gallons total. And, since I like to start a trip after a long lay-off with the holding tanks at about 25% to get a good cleaning action going on the first leg, we're actually talking about less than 60 gallons that I needed to dump; just about the same as the spa/tub dumps into the septic system. OK...I talked myself into it!

So the time was right to give it a go. I ordered a 100' 3/4" garden hose via 2-day Amazon Prime (@Neal would be proud!) and it arrived yesterday. The length was perfect with about 5' to spare. This morning, I connected the new hose to the Sani-Con fitting, popped the lid off the 4" clean-out where the house sewer line enters the septic tank, inserted the 3/4" hose (and locked it in place with a perfectly-fitting wood block I had. LadyDi served as the lookout with instructions to wave frantically and yell loud if liquid started overflowing. I had no idea of what kind of pressure to expect at the hose end.

Everything went as planned. Nice when that happens. No panicked waving and yelling from LadyDi and a steady decline on the tank gauges until I reached the shut-off point. It could not have gone any better.

I'm still not quite sure what the stream flow was at the end of the hose, but there was no noticeable squirming and wiggling of the hose at the entry point to the septic clean out. So, my take on this after my first time pumping into a 3'4" garden hose is..."no big deal." Thankfully. I will be using this system again when we return to the S&B after our travels. I like the idea of being able to do a REALLY good flush when we return home. And, LadyDi likes the fact that she can use the bathroom all the way home instead of stopping at the nearest convenient rest stop with sewer dump facilities (about 60 miles away).

Sani-Con rocks!!!

TJ

I agree TJ, Sani-Con works great for this. I added a tap into the sewer drain line in the house last summer so I could extend the sani-con to it with 3/4" hose. That allows us to not worry about using the sinks and toilets whenever we are on the way back home from our last stop. Easy to connect the hose and dump when back at home. Seems to empty the tanks pretty quickly to.

We too use a 100' hose for dumping at home. We live in the country and have a septic system also. Several years ago I bought a FloJet for this, the FloJet is a little hassle to hookup but not really a big deal.
I insert the end of the hose in the lid of the first tank and all is good.

I was always concerned with the amount of pressure the sanicon puts on the standard discharge hose to make it expand as it does. Necking it down to a 3/4 hose seems like it would add to the issue, but if you guys say it works, that's great!

It did not create any noticeable wiggling/squirming when I did it. Certainly, the Sani-Con hose expanded when I turned the pump, but that was just a single movement. And, the Sani-Con pump did not sound noticeably bogged down when it was operating. Sounded quite normal.

Keep in mind that we have the Turbo 700 in our MADP. I don't know if that makes any difference from the un its installed in the Ventana/Dutch Star.

TJ

I think they're all the same pump. Thanks for letting me know it will indeed work. Great option when getting home.

I use a 3/4" 50Ft hose extension to dump while parked at our daughter's house. The first time I did this both tanks were fairly full and the the pump apparently overheated and stopped while using it to empty both tanks. I have since just used the Sanicon for the black tank and let the grey tank drain by gravity which has worked well. Since we are here for at least 4 to 6 weeks due to Covid 19, and frequently stop here during our travels, I ordered and just received 2 Sanicon hose extensions which I will try next week. Should work well without overheating the pump.

Well, I, too just tried the SaniCon through the garden hose...most of the way through the process, the SaniCon hose burst. What a sh*tty mess. Calling Thetford tomorrow.

Omg that sounds like a real sh*t show. Sorry @Akdare.

Well, I, too just tried the SaniCon through the garden hose...most of the way through the process, the SaniCon hose burst. What a sh*tty mess. Calling Thetford tomorrow.

This stuff is only supposed to happen to me! But this is also why I'm glad I have the hose protector on mine. At least it would be somewhat contained.

Latest resources

Back