Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Satellite communications for backup while RVing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
@ARD had a situation yesterday with a toad tire deflating, thankful for TPMS or it could have been ugly. Also thankful she was caravanning with @NWIP who was hero of the day in helping her out in the situation. Where they were there was no cellular, @ARD has both Verizon and AT&T on board. Bad situation. It turned out okay but I share her story because we can all learn from these situations. We as RVers can often find ourselves with no communications. I know @turbopilot has mentioned something in the past, it may be time for me to take a closer look into these solutions for emergency use.

What do you all suggestion for satellite communication backup devices and what are the costs associated?

We have been looking at SpotX since we returned from our Alaska trip. With yesterday’s event it is becoming a higher priority in getting something.

I opted for a portable HughesNet Gen 5 system.

It works in the lower 48. Dish, tripod, etc cost = $1500. Monthly data plans range from $40/mon (2 GB) to $400/mon (300 GB). 2-year contract.

Fully automatic rooftop systems are available from Oregon RV for about $5k to $6.4k.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back